matching (APEKS) reg for doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grey Goose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Folks,

I have two APEKS regs: XTX 200 and and XTX 50 (DST). Does anyone foresee any issues if I use these two first stages for doubles (with only the DST rotating)? Put another way, are their more advantages to having a set of regs that have both sides rotating? Was thinking of getting the fifth port conversion for each of these regs, for better house routing. If I stick with the 200 and 50, any suggestions on what side the rotating 50 would be better positioned (I use long hose and bungied backup; dir/gue style)?

In the near future, I may try to pick up another APEKS reg, possibly another xtx 50 DST or possibly the DS4, which is significantly less expensive. Then again, I would be in the same position with the DS4 as with the xtx 200 (the DST being able to rotate and the DS4 being fixed), but I would have an extra reg for singles. Thoughts welcome here too.

thanks

no concerns with matching them, they're basically the same reg.

I would put the FSR first stage on the left post with the 5th port. Nothing here needs to swivel, but the secondary on the 5th port is nice.
DST on the right post with the inflator on the 5th post and the long hose on the turret. In an OOA situation you want/need the long hose to swivel up to prevent kinking. Long hose donation is the only real advantage of a swivel turret in backmount, but it is a very important one, and having the 5th port prevents your inflator from getting all wonky when the hose pushes forward instead of down

This is my configuration:
FSR on the left post with the environment seal facing upward. No need for the 5th port.
DS4 on the right post with a 90 degree swivel for the inflator hose.

If you run the way centrals does, the 5th port is nice if you have a drysuit inflator hose, but I'd still run it sideways. Can't use the 90* adapter for the inflator on the right post if you want to be DIR compliant though, so there's that, and with that I'd stay with the DST. DS4's are great for stage/deco bottles, but that's about it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom