Material preference - SS or Ti?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stainless steel. There are reasons why no other knives are made out of titanium.

The Spyderco Native 5 Salt is about the closest thing I can find to a decent dive knife using a high grade of steel that won't rust.

Even though I don't consider a folder optimal for diving, I will probably pick one up because all of the Ti knives I see are garbage.

For a low use item like a dive knife? Titanium is fine as it’s strapped to my leg. For the Mora in my backpack? Stainless.

I've been using stainless steel in the ocean for 50 years and my knife and other gear still looks great. I (almost) always rinse it afterwards. It looks like titanium cost a lot more so maybe it will last 500 years? I don't want to sound pessimistic but I'm guessing I won't need it to last quite that long. I have a folding, cheap, Blue Reef SS knife that I keep in a pocket and have forgotten to take out and rinse on several occasions and it looks fine.

Titanium is harder to sharpen and doesn't hold an edge. Not worth the price in my opinion.

I've never found the need for a knife, my local is full of discarded nets and fishing line, a trilobite and shears are what I carry.

I own an expensive titanium knife but I choose to carry a $10 DGX stainless as it is a better knife imo. Sharper and if rinsed easy to maintain. Not much weight penalty at all. Also carry a ceramic trilobite.

Stainless steel is cheap yet very dependable. Just don't forget to use anti-rust grease after using it.

Back
Top Bottom