Maui Best Scuba OP? And Snorkeling spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbdqsony

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all I will be going to Maui on Feb 12-20.

Am looking for highly recommend Scuba OP at reasonable rate, wants to dive at Molokiki Crater... Is there any other recommend dive spot for new OW diver?

Also I will be able to do Snorkeling from beach shores, is there any best spots to do snorkeling?

IMO a dive trip to Maui isn't complete until you do a charter to Lanai. The Cathedrals are definitely on my "must dive" list for Maui.

As far as ops are concerned, there aren't any truly "bad" ops on Maui. B&B, Ed Robinson's, and Mike Severns are the most highly recommended charter operators on SB, as are Shaka Doug and Maui Dreams for shore diving. All operate out of the Kihei area.

The two operators most recommended for Lanai are Extended Horizons and Lahaina Divers.

Since you mention being a new OW diver, I'd recommend B&B for boat diving to Molokini and S. Maui, either Shaka Doug or Maui Dreams for shore diving, and Lahaina Divers for Lanai.

I always see a lot of snorkelers at Black Rock, but that may be partly due to it's proximity to the Sheraton.
At the north end of West Maui Honolua Bay is a good snorkel/dive site - it's a marine reserve.

Snorkel Bob's has a map on their website:

Snorkel Bob's | Maui Snorkel Map'n Tips

Well, part of the recommendation is related to where you are going to stay.

As far as dive ops go, I really like B&B for beginners. They took me out for my first water water dives, and they took good care of me. However, if you want to respect your depth limits, let them know ahead of time. They are also a wonderful dive shop to work with for rental equipment and tanks -- they have gone WAY beyond normal service for us a time or two.

As far as snorkeling sites go, if you are staying in the Kihei/Wailea area, Ulua beach and Polo Beach are two excellent sites. Polo has some beautiful ribs of healthy coral in about ten feet of water, so you could see a lot snorkeling. North, Old Airport and Honolua Bay are lovely, shallow sites.

Don't discount shore diving off Maui, either! Sites like Ulua Bay are great beginner dives, with easy navigation, and easy entry and exit if the surf isn't high. Shaka Doug here on SB also does guided shore diving -- I don't know what his fees are, but they've got to be lower than going out on the boats. My husband and I have just about stopped doing boat diving in Maui, because the shore diving is so accessible and so good.

Hi there
I became certified in December after booking a trip to Maui for Feb. 15 - 25. I have 10 dives in and can't get enough. I have researched shore dives and am hoping to find a buddy while there. I plan on doing a couple chartered dives as well, but can't afford a week's worth. Staying north of Lahaina. Give me a shout if you need a buddy.

Hi there
I became certified in December after booking a trip to Maui for Feb. 15 - 25. I have 10 dives in and can't get enough. I have researched shore dives and am hoping to find a buddy while there. I plan on doing a couple chartered dives as well, but can't afford a week's worth. Staying north of Lahaina. Give me a shout if you need a buddy.

My wife and I are going to be staying at the Sheraton Kaanapali Feb 16-24 and will be doing some shore diving as well as some boat trips. We'd be happy to dive with you. Send me a PM

Pacific Dive in Lahaina used to have a buddy sign-up sheet since they do a lot of shore diving.

My wife and I are going to be staying at the Sheraton Kaanapali Feb 16-24 and will be doing some shore diving as well as some boat trips. We'd be happy to dive with you. Send me a PM

I will be in Kihei Feb 12 - 24 and will be looking for shore dive buddies. I'm new to this with only 12 dives, all in fresh water, but keen to try new stuff. PM if you are interested

Black Rock off the Sheraton is a great snorkel, very busy during mid-day. The following has some great info courtesy of Kidspot on this board. He has moved to Oahu, however the info is great for the area you will be staying.

Maui Dive Sites - Honolua to Lahaina area. - The Dive Matrix Forums

B&B is a great op especially for beginners. Patient and fun, Brad and crew will give you great dives. Unfortunately they like to be the first boat to Molokini so the meet at the Kihei boat ramp at 5:45 am. However since you will still be on mainland time it is not as early as it appears. The drive to Kihei will take you 30 - 40 minutes.

Hope you have some great dives and snorkel.

We always snorkel Makena landing near Wailea and the public beaches in Kihei are normally good for turtles and lots of fish only 50 yards off the beach. I think that the South side of #3 is where the turtles were last year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom