Maui Dive Buddy Wanted 9/14-9/22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QQQ99999

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be headed to Maui 9/14-9/22 and (in an effort to save a little $$$ on my dive budget) I wanted to see if there were going to being any SBers around that were willing to buddy up for some beach dives.

Earlier this year my wife and I were fortunately blessed with a healthy baby. Unfortunately this means that my usual vacation dive buddy, my wife, and I will be unable to dive together (ah, the realities of parenthood).

I am hoping to fit in at least several mornings of boat dives. I am going to try to squeeze in as much diving as I can (around an ever increasing schedule of vacation activities that appears out of my control) while still providing enough help/support/time to my wife to allow her to enjoy her vacation as well.

For the first part of my trip I will be staying in Kaanapali 9/14-9/17 and I’d love to get in some diving in West Maui. During the remainder of my trip, 9/17-9/22, I will be staying in Kihei and I would be available to meet up for dives in South Maui.

A little about me: I am from Southern California (where I have done the majority of my diving since being certified a couple years ago). I still a noob (you know the type, I get really happy :D anytime I am able get into the water), I have done about 60 dives in relatively varied conditions. I am PADI OW, AOW and Rescue Diver Certified (I know, the certs don't necessarily mean much).

After my most recent couple dives, about a week ago, in 57 degree water with 10 ft viz (not terrible, so I am not really complaining), I can't wait to get to Maui.

Any SBers gonna be around (and willing) to meet up for a dive?

Please PM me if there is any interest or have any Q’s.

Thanks (and sorry for the long post).
Q

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the offer. I do enjoy night dives (though I have only done 5-6 of them). I just need to figure out how well that will fit in with my planned vacation evening activities (dinner reservations, family time, etc). I'll try to PM you once I figure things out. Thanks again.

I think night has to be the most interesting time to dive. 5-6 is a good amount of night div es so you should be ready to roll :) I have guests coming in town on Wed so I'll be diving with them through next Monday. We'll be doing night and day dives. If you're up for joining us just let me know. We may even do a dive Wed night... Let me know what you're up for!

Sean

Sean,

Sorry we weren't able to meet up while I was on Maui (I carted my UK Light Cannon to Maui for nothing). I unfortunately developed an ear infection during the second half of my stay, which definitely kept me from diving (or doing anything, really).

Thanks again for the dive buddy offer. Maybe next time...

Q

Too bad you didn't post as soon as you felt ear pain. Typically, local outer ear infections can be treated with vinegar/rubbing alcohol (50/50, apple cider vinegar my fav), giving quick respite. Only an inner ear infection has ever kept me out of the water. Since age 6 (AAU swimming) I have treated myself a couple evenings when the pain becomes noticable and have never had to stay dry to heal. Even if I procrastinate until pain is signifigant, a couple nights treatment kills the little buggers :)

Sorry to hear that Q9! I hate ear problems... I have found myself needing longer to equalize on the 2nd dive recently... With a hurt ear it would be no fun!!

If I'm here when you return we'll do it!

Thanks for the update!!

Sean

Too bad you didn't post as soon as you felt ear pain. Typically, local outer ear infections can be treated with vinegar/rubbing alcohol (50/50, apple cider vinegar my fav), giving quick respite. Only an inner ear infection has ever kept me out of the water. Since age 6 (AAU swimming) I have treated myself a couple evenings when the pain becomes noticable and have never had to stay dry to heal. Even if I procrastinate until pain is signifigant, a couple nights treatment kills the little buggers :)

That would have been good to know! I used alcohol (but without the vinegar) to try to dry the ear out and hoped it would improve. No Luck! By the next day the fever had set in, so I eventually headed to the doc who prescribed (SURPRISE!) antibiotics. I will try the alcohol and vinegar mixture first next time (and will try to keep my ears dry as well).

I know, TMI.

Thanks Halemano.

You may also find that the vinegar/alchohol "juice" prevents a lot of ear troubles if you use it at the beginning of the dive day and again at the end. 5 minutes sitting in each ear is what I've been told. It creates an environment in your ear that bacteria can't easily grow in... preventing a lot of ear issues.

btw a really good resource for ear info is:

UWTV Program: The Diver's Ear: Under Pressure

Aloha, Tim

Back
Top Bottom