Maui Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landlubber & TSandM,

I will be on my honeymoon in Maui for a week and Oahu for a week during September of this year and have been looking through posts to find good Dive Tours for those Islands. I just googled Maui Dive and Sea (Is this the correct one your talking about?) to find more information and it says "Place Closed". Is this true? Could you provide their contact information? Any other Dive Tours you would recommend for Advanced Certified divers with about 35 dives under the belt? Thanks.

~ Can you tell... I'm new at this ~
We will be on Maui from Sept 7 (late arrival) and departing on the 14th. We will be doing lots of shore dives mostly in the Wailea area if you are there at that time and want to buddy up with us. Will be 3 of us. Will probably do at least 1 boat dive too. Probably with ERDA on their 3 tank adventure on the Friday after we arrive. We will be doing 3-4 dives a day from the 8th to the 13th.

Stuart

We will be on Maui from Sept 7 (late arrival) and departing on the 14th. We will be doing lots of shore dives mostly in the Wailea area if you are there at that time and want to buddy up with us. Will be 3 of us. Will probably do at least 1 boat dive too. Probably with ERDA on their 3 tank adventure on the Friday after we arrive. We will be doing 3-4 dives a day from the 8th to the 13th.

Stuart

Thank you for the offer StuartT, but we will on Maui Sept.27-Oct.1
Let me know how the dives go and if you recommend any particular sites.

~Andrea

If weather conditions are right, there is lots of shore diving on Maui that is suitable for fairly novice divers. (If the wind is up, there can be quite a bit of surf, and lower visibility conditions.)

I think B&B does a wonderful job of taking care of novice divers. They run a pretty high staffing ratio on the boats, at least when I have been out with them.

My experiences with the Severns boat has been that there has been a high percentage of people both with a lot of diving experience, and often experience with that particular boat. I've had my best boat dives on Maui with them, because they pretty much ignore me and get on with finding the most interesting and unusual critters for us to look at :)

If you have not been to Hawaii before, and especially if you have not done a lot of open ocean boat diving, I'd stick with B&B.

And yes, that is a Borg cupcake. I got a bunch of feedback that the Borg Queen was forbidding, so I'm trying to sweeten my image :)

Well, I went with Ed's crew today. It was amazing. I love their boat. The ladders are great, the tank racks are awesome, it just works so well. The crew was great too. Not too nannyish. I have to say, it's my favorite boat. I like other operations like Makena and B&B but I LOVE the Ed Robinson dive boat and crew. I'll be doing six more this week.

No matter your experience level, if you stay close to the DM and listen, you'll do fine.

How is the diving in Sept? Do you see whales or is that more seasonal? We were thinking of going this fall, probably Sept. Haven't decided which island- the Big Island or Maui, we want to go where the diving is best.

Erika

How is the diving in Sept? Do you see whales or is that more seasonal? We were thinking of going this fall, probably Sept. Haven't decided which island- the Big Island or Maui, we want to go where the diving is best.

Erika
Diving in Maui in September in my experience is great. 79-80 water temps, not to much in the way of big swells that mess up the viz. The whales don't usually arrive until early December and stay until around mid April so you won't see or hear them in September. Lots of great shore dives and some top notch operators for boat diving.

Erika
If you're shore diving, as a regular tourist I'd say the Big Island is hands down better than Maui - way better visibility, more sites with more coral and structure and lots more fish. We've been on south Maui now for a week and the viz is about like northern California on a decent day - with the same cold winds (I'm hoping that will change shortly...). One plus for Maui - tank rentals are cheaper than Kona. I haven't done much boat diving off Maui aside from Molokini so I can't say how that tips the scales.

Back
Top Bottom