Maui Diving Suggestions Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fatsuki

Registered
Reaction score
Next month I may have the opportunity to travel (for work) to Maui. I've never been to Hawaii so I'm really excited for the chance to go (and have it paid for by my empolyer). I'm hoping to get in a little diving while there. I'm OW and nitrox certified, approximately 110 dives (Cozumel, Bonaire, Philippines, northern California coast).

1) Any suggestions on nice but inexpensive hotels? My job site will be at the south end of the island, but I'd like to stay close to a dive operation/dive sites (wherever that may be).
2) Any suggestions on dive operators? I'll be travelling without a dive buddy, so will need to buddy up through the dive operation.
3) Any suggestions on the "best" dive sites? Is there any good shore diving and/or snorkeling on Maui?

Thanks, Jeni

take ed robinsons out to molikini, do the back wall if you can. Lanai cathedrals is also a great trip. I did all these with ed robinsons last november, and loved every minute of it. Top class operation. they go from kehei, which is at the south end of the island, so you will be fine there. It'll be a longer boat ride if you go to lanai(going with a dive op out of lahaina makes the crossing quicker), but it's either do the time in the boat or in the car. i prefer being on the boat!!

fatsuki:
Next month I may have the opportunity to travel (for work) to Maui. I've never been to Hawaii so I'm really excited for the chance to go (and have it paid for by my empolyer). I'm hoping to get in a little diving while there. I'm OW and nitrox certified, approximately 110 dives (Cozumel, Bonaire, Philippines, northern California coast).

1) Any suggestions on nice but inexpensive hotels? My job site will be at the south end of the island, but I'd like to stay close to a dive operation/dive sites (wherever that may be).
2) Any suggestions on dive operators? I'll be travelling without a dive buddy, so will need to buddy up through the dive operation.
3) Any suggestions on the "best" dive sites? Is there any good shore diving and/or snorkeling on Maui?

Thanks, Jeni

Hey, if you're willing to pick up my airfare and hotel, I'd be more than happy to be a dive buddy for you :wink:

mossym:
take ed robinsons out to molikini, do the back wall if you can. Lanai cathedrals is also a great trip. I did all these with ed robinsons last november, and loved every minute of it. Top class operation. they go from kehei, which is at the south end of the island, so you will be fine there. It'll be a longer boat ride if you go to lanai(going with a dive op out of lahaina makes the crossing quicker), but it's either do the time in the boat or in the car. i prefer being on the boat!!

I second both Ed Robinsons and those dives. Fantastic dives. Also, Molokini crater at night is a great dive.

Kehei doesn't have a real harbor in the sense that boats are docked there, it only has launch pads, so if you get there early and there are no boats, do not panic. They'll arrive. Freaked me out when I got there and nobody around and no boats. LOL.

Ed Robinsons is really good at explaining what you might see on a trip. The boats are smaller, and they do an excellent job of buddying you up.

1. Search http://www.vrbo.com/ for condo in Kihei. That will probably be significantly cheaper than a hotel, and more suitable for a month long stay.

2. My personal preference in dive ops is Mike Severns, Ed Robinson, then B&B. All 3 are good dive ops.

Mike Severns is definitely the dive op if you are a fish nerd like me..... uhhhh, I mean someone very interested in marine life. :wink:

The above ops, and a couple others, leave from the Kihei boat ramp, which is just south of Keonekai Rd, near the border with Wailea.

3. Lots of good shore dives in S. Maui. Drop by any of the many Maui Dive Shop stores and pick up their free snorkel and dive guide. The Kihei boats nearly always do at least one dive at Molokini. Since you are staying a month, I recommend that you also do the 45 minute drive over to Lahaina and go with Extended Horizons to Lanai for at least one trip.

My husband and I just got back from a week on Maui. I can't help you with hotels, because we stay with my in-laws, but we dove with B&B Scuba for two days and really enjoyed it. They were very pleasant to deal with, and their boat goes out earlier than anybody else's (a brutal hour of the morning . . . ugh) so you get Molokini to yourself, and it's worth it. Having been there before on a cattle-car snorkel boat, I know whereof I speak!

B&B operates out of Kihei, which is south, as long as your job isn't on the airport side of the island. There are a number of shore dives in that area (check out shorediving.com). We did Ulua beach from the boat and it was great -- lots of turtles, and several good-sized white-tipped sharks. We tried Keweakapu from the beach and never found the reef . . . that was disappointing.

Anyway, hope that helps, and have fun in Maui!

TSandM:
We tried Keweakapu from the beach and never found the reef . . . that was disappointing.
Bummer. Ulua is a nice easy entry commonly used for OW cert dives, both confined water work and OW dives. Very easy to navigate. The only drawback is that the parking lot fills up early.

Makena Landing is another easy to navigate site, with more parking.

There are lots of other lesser known good sites. Most are shallow enough that a quick snorkel tour is an easy way to check them out.

Back
Top Bottom