Maui Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frameless

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I will be on Maui over Thanksgiving and would like to experience some of Maui's underwater beauty. Can anyone suggest a dive operator, sites, etc. I have heard that the backside of Molokini is worth doing but can also have strong current at times. Lahaina Diver's was featured in Sport Diver magazine this month. Has anyone been out with them? How are the boats, DM's, safety.

Thanks for the input :wink:

I have been out with nearly all the Maui operators and spend several weeks a year on Maui each year. We now dive just with B&B Scuba and have been very happy. I am an instructor in Oregon and want to be a good resource for my students and customers and I refer them all to B&B and so far none have come back unhappy. In fact all plan to use them again on their next trip.

I also haven't heard anything bad about Ed Robinson's (I've gone diving with them, and they were great) or Mike Severn's.

frameless:
My wife and I will be on Maui over Thanksgiving and would like to experience some of Maui's underwater beauty. Can anyone suggest a dive operator, sites, etc. I have heard that the backside of Molokini is worth doing but can also have strong current at times. Lahaina Diver's was featured in Sport Diver magazine this month. Has anyone been out with them? How are the boats, DM's, safety.

We dove with them once, can't really say anything good or bad about them, Nice newer boats, helpful staff. I've heard good things about B&B & Ed Robinson's also.

Gotta do the Cathedrals at Lana'i. Here's why:

We dive regularly with Lahaina Divers when we're in Maui, and really like them. Mike Severn's and Ed Robinson's are both excellent operators too, and offer a different type of experience than Lahaina Divers.

Lahaina Divers has 2 very large boats (48') that typically take about 22 divers on-board. Even with full boats, there is plenty of room to set up your stuff and move around, and the dive deck is very large with 2 ladders. We've found staff to be excellent and very helpful, no complaints at all.

Mike Severns' and Ed Robinson use much smaller boats with only 6-12 divers. They claim to cater to the more experienced dive, though we haven't necessarily found that, and their dive sites are always interesting. Again, excellent staff and service, no complaints from me.

We dive with Lahaina Divers for a couple of reasons though. We stay in Kaanapali and Lahaina is FAR more convenient than driving for 30 min (or more) to Kihei. I'm prone to motion sickness, so I find the bigger boats to be more comfortable for me and I have fewer problems with them.

Another difference is that Lahaina Divers runs a regular schedule, so the divers don't have any input into where they might go. Of course one advantage to that is that you can plan your vacation around their schedule and know you'll do the dives you want. On the other hand, Mike Severns and Ed Robinsons will listen to diver requests, though the captain has the ultimate say in where the choice is finally made. Ed Robinson's also offers a 3-tank advanced dive, which I hear is fabulous. We haven't done it yet, but definitely will in the future.

frameless:

This is my opinion and response to your question as a Maui resident.

I just did my first dive with B&B this morning - the makeup of the passengers told me a lot, 2/3 of them were repeat customers. It was a quick trip to the crater and we were the second ones there (Pro Divers was there about 5 minutes before us) My stomach appreciated the fast transit times - and getting quickly into the water (I don't take kindly to boats, give me a shore dive -lol)

Tim

ed robinsons is a great outfit, did 4 days diving with them 2 weeks ago and was 110% satisfied, i'll definitely use them again if i go back

mossym:
ed robinsons is a great outfit, did 4 days diving with them 2 weeks ago and was 110% satisfied, i'll definitely use them again if i go back
ditto.

(but it was 3-days of diving and six months ago).

I don't want to sound like a broken record but if you go to my web site (link in my signature) I have collected information about Maui Dive Operators on my web site. I have included a few of my personal observations as well. It was easier for me to do this than to repeat the information over and over. The links on the left hand side of the page will lead you there. In summary, I like B & B a lot. I think Ed Robinsons, Mike Severns, Lahaina Divers, and Extended Horizons (based on DocV's recommendation) are all pretty good as well. The next time I am in Maui, I will probably dive with B & B.

(Note: My site is not commercial (unless you want to buy one of my photos...:)). )

Back
Top Bottom