Maui - January 2017 - Lahaina/Kannapali Beach Area - Dive Shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VirginiaScubaGuy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I am a certified diver with close to 100 dives since about 2007. I'm not really a beginner, but I'm certainly not advanced. I tend to dive once or twice a year. I have all my own equipment that I bring with me.

I am going to be traveling to Maui in January 2017, and will be staying in the Lahaina-Kannapali Beach area. I am trying to figure out the best dive shop where there will be smaller boats and less cattle call diving. Hopefully, the dive shop would not be so beginner oriented.

I was in Kona last year and did just a couple dives with Jacks Dive Locker before leaving for another company. At Jack's a two tank morning dive would leave at 800 am and get back at 300 pm. there were so many beginners that it took forever to get everyone in, out, and briefed. I'm trying to avoid that this year in Maui.

The shops I have seen on Trip Advisor are: Lahaina Divers, Sammy's Dive Shop, Extended Horizons, and Banyan Tree Divers.

Any comments on the above shops or any others not listed would be great.

Thanks!

James

I've aways had good experiences with Lahaina Divers. Large fast boats and great dive masters. I highly recommend the Lanai dives.

I have NOT been yet but I have researched a little. I am looking for a more beginner oriented diver operation in the same area and have decided to use Lahaina divers as it seems that they tend to be more attentive to new divers for the GF and mildly for me. Extended Horizons is a smaller boat, 12 spots, and has Steel 100 tanks available. They do many dives sites but do not do a Molokini trip which is a definite must for me along with Lanai cathedrals. Lahaina divers is a 24 spot boat and they have Al100 tanks available and do all the same trips that Extended horizons does and also Molokini. They also offer a pretty decent package price if you do 3 trips with them. Are you only looking at this area? Are you considering any shore dives?

I have NOT been yet but I have researched a little. I am looking for a more beginner oriented diver operation in the same area and have decided to use Lahaina divers as it seems that they tend to be more attentive to new divers for the GF and mildly for me. Extended Horizons is a smaller boat, 12 spots, and has Steel 100 tanks available. They do many dives sites but do not do a Molokini trip which is a definite must for me along with Lanai cathedrals. Lahaina divers is a 24 spot boat and they have Al100 tanks available and do all the same trips that Extended horizons does and also Molokini. They also offer a pretty decent package price if you do 3 trips with them. Are you only looking at this area? Are you considering any shore dives?

Thanks for the excellent comments. I think I will probably try Extended Horizons for some diving and then do a Molokini trip with Lahaina Divers. I will also try and get down to that one everyone is talking with that lady biologist.

Do you by chance have a name for the biologist that you mentioned? I might be interested

Maui has a great deal of very professional operators. Having dove in Hawaii for a little over 20 years I would suggest Mike Severn's group out of Kihei. It's a bit longer drive but well worth it. A small operation with outstanding staff! I tend to be picky as a long time divemaster here and have found that they are the best I have experienced. When I travel to Maui they have been my top choice for years. I love their staff. Ed Robinson's also has been great over the years when I haven't been able to dive with Pauline and her crew. Maui also has awesome shore dives that can rival many of the boat spots. Mala Wharf is a must see with endless critters.

A

Maui has a great deal of very professional operators. Having dove in Hawaii for a little over 20 years I would suggest Mike Severn's group out of Kihei. It's a bit longer drive but well worth it. A small operation with outstanding staff! I tend to be picky as a long time divemaster here and have found that they are the best I have experienced. When I travel to Maui they have been my top choice for years. I love their staff. Ed Robinson's also has been great over the years when I haven't been able to dive with Pauline and her crew. Maui also has awesome shore dives that can rival many of the boat spots. Mala Wharf is a must see with endless critters.

A

So many of you really like Mike Severn so I probably will have to drive down at least one day to use him. I have been reconsidering whether it's better to stay somewhere in Wailea or Kihei over Kannapali but I'm traveling solo, and I want to have somethings to do at night so I'm fairly convinced that Kannapali is the place for me. I'm wondering how long the boat ride is from Lahaina to Molokini Crater? 1 hour or more like 30 min?

So many of you really like Mike Severn so I probably will have to drive down at least one day to use him. I have been reconsidering whether it's better to stay somewhere in Wailea or Kihei over Kannapali but I'm traveling solo, and I want to have somethings to do at night so I'm fairly convinced that Kannapali is the place for me. I'm wondering how long the boat ride is from Lahaina to Molokini Crater? 1 hour or more like 30 min?

My wife and I are looking at a trip to Maui too, I called Ed Robinsons yesterday about pricing and to get a feel for the shop vibe, they seemed really laid back and very knowledgeable, they did mention to book ASAP, as my wife and I are planning on an early january trip. I'm also looking for a shop that can accommodate another couple that is planning on coming with us that are not very experienced divers and will both need to take the refresher course, while my wife and I (both over 1000 dives) can feel confident our friends are taken care of while we cruse around with our cameras looking for critters.

When are you planning on going to Maui? Maybe we can meet up? Shore dive? Boat dive?

Lahaina Divers' boats are big but groups are split into 6 ea. So you get the benefit of a larger, faster boat but without the "cattle call" problems. They have friendly, competent staff.

Try the Lanai dives - neither beginner nor advanced. They'll typically take you to one of the two cathedrals and another spot nearby. If you sign up for the same dive two days in a row, they'll take you to both cathedrals and two other spots.

Also consider getting a PADI AOW cert while you're there. I don't know the details so you'll have to give them a call. But having that advanced cert will open the doors to other dives in Maui and many other locations, and a lot of the dives that you'd be doing anyway will count towards the five dives required for AOW. If you already have 100 dives under your belt, it should be effortless.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom