Maui or Lanai ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

normantr:
I figure three mornings out of the 10 we are there is not do much abandonment. :D
B&B and Prodiver are the earliest to depart the Kihei boat ramp, and are usually the first ones back. A nice early 11AM return to the hotel goes a long ways to avoiding the abandonment issue. :wink:

The trip to Lanai will run on past lunch, so be sure to set up a nice romantic dinner than night :07:

Another option is to pick a boat that departs out of Lahaina for Lanai. It cuts the travel time by a significant amount and will get you back to the dock sooner. Of course if you're staying near Kihei, disregard this suggestion. :wink:

DiveMe:
Another option is to pick a boat that departs out of Lahaina for Lanai. It cuts the travel time by a significant amount and will get you back to the dock sooner. Of course if you're staying near Kihei, disregard this suggestion. :wink:
I recommend using a Lahaina-based boat, even if staying in Kihei. On most days, the NE tradewinds come up in the late morning and the return trip is much rougher that the trip over in the morning. Even if it weren't faster, you'd appreciate spending less of the trip on the water and more in the car. :wink:

Extended Horizons, a 12 passenger boat out of the Mala ramp in Lahaina is my recommendations for Lanai trips, unless you are particularly prone to seasickness, in which case the larger boats of Lahaina Divers are nice, even though they have more divers, less experienced DMs, and shorter dive times.

Charlie99:
... they have more divers, less experienced DMs, and shorter dive times.

With that in mind, I'd say a bit of sea-sickness was worth it... and I don't do well with boats :wink:

Early morning the trip to Lanai is usually fairly calm and the ferry does it in about 45min. (don't know about the dive ops though) so it's not too bad a length...

Tim

Since I we are staying at the Maui Prince and I already have two other trips planned with Ed Robinson, I am going to stick with them. From what I understand the trip to Lanai is about 75 minutes, give or take. The boat ride does not bother me, in fact, I would rather be on the boat than on the road.

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom