Maui shore diving buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beckyricha

Reaction score
Hi! My boyfriend and I will be in Maui 1/18-23 (staying in Kahana) and are looking to include some shore diving. We are both experienced boat divers but neither has done shore diving except murky east coast quarries. We don't want a company to take us on a newbie beach diving tour. However, not knowing the area I think we'll have much more fun and be safer diving with locals than just grabbing a tank and a map and heading out. Anybody doing any diving in that time frame and interested in being joined by tourists? :)

PM me or email at beckyr1324@yahoo.com

Thanks.
Becky

Becky, if you can't find anyone with whom to dive, don't give up on shore diving. There are a bunch of pretty benign but fun sites you can easily do. There is a book called "Maui Shore dives" or something similar, which is an excellent reference, and there's also some good information at THIS website.

You want to shore dive in the morning, before the winds come up, because the water will be calmer. If the surf is up, the visibility on the shore dives (which tend to be shallow) will be poor. If the weather conditions are normal, the viz will be excellent, and you can generally navigate along the reef. The shore diving can be fantastic, particularly if you go slowly. We have seen turtles and sharks, as well as many reef fish, morays, and less commonly seen things like hermit crabs, by shore diving even fairly shallow sites.

If you can find someone to go with, be sure to do the Mala Pier site! That's my favorite shore dive on Maui so far. Very shallow (about 25 feet) and lots of structure which gives shelter to big schools of fish. We've seen white tipped reef sharks, turtles, and gorgeous nudibranchs there. The "legal" entry is a bit of a chore, as you have to wade through coral heads, which is why I would say it would be best to go with someone local, but you could do it by yourselves if the conditions are favorable.

We go to Maui a lot (my in-laws live there) and we have almost given up going out on the boats, because the shore diving is so easy, so accessible, so much less expensive, and you see many of the same animals you do on the charters.

Have fun with the trip!

Becky, if you can't find anyone with whom to dive, don't give up on shore diving. There are a bunch of pretty benign but fun sites you can easily do. There is a book called "Maui Shore dives" or something similar, which is an excellent reference, and there's also some good information at THIS website.

You want to shore dive in the morning, before the winds come up, because the water will be calmer. If the surf is up, the visibility on the shore dives (which tend to be shallow) will be poor. If the weather conditions are normal, the viz will be excellent, and you can generally navigate along the reef. The shore diving can be fantastic, particularly if you go slowly. We have seen turtles and sharks, as well as many reef fish, morays, and less commonly seen things like hermit crabs, by shore diving even fairly shallow sites.

If you can find someone to go with, be sure to do the Mala Pier site! That's my favorite shore dive on Maui so far. Very shallow (about 25 feet) and lots of structure which gives shelter to big schools of fish. We've seen white tipped reef sharks, turtles, and gorgeous nudibranchs there. The "legal" entry is a bit of a chore, as you have to wade through coral heads, which is why I would say it would be best to go with someone local, but you could do it by yourselves if the conditions are favorable.

We go to Maui a lot (my in-laws live there) and we have almost given up going out on the boats, because the shore diving is so easy, so accessible, so much less expensive, and you see many of the same animals you do on the charters.

Have fun with the trip!

I hope sometime you and your husband go to Maui in February. I would enjoy diving with you guys:D
You always have great input here on SB and just seem like you would be fun to dive with!
Thanks,
John

We're actually going to be in Maui the second week of February. Are you there then?

We're actually going to be in Maui the second week of February. Are you there then?

Hi TSandM,
We will be in Maui Feb 6-13. That would be great if you were there too:D
Thanks,
John

Hi! Thanks for the quick feedback and good tips. I do have one follow-up question though, on the early morning recommendation. Will try to do that, but on days where we do early morning boat dives and want to shore dive late morning or afternoon, do the conditions just get bad in terms of vis, or does it get more dangerous (changing tides, extreme surf, etc.)? I will check out the info you suggested and get good local info from a shop when I get there, but good advice is always appreciated.

Thanks!

Becky

The trade winds come up in the afternoon, so there's likely to be more surf. Surf makes entries and exits more challenging, and degrades the visibility in very shallow sites. If the wind isn't howling, it won't be dangerous, but it just won't be quite as nice as the morning.

We've done some really lovely night dives from shore (at Ulua Beach, which is an excellent site for day diving, too).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom