Maui Trip Report - Ed Robinson & Lahaina Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarmWaterPursuit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Maui Dive Report – Lahaina Divers & Ed Robinson’s Diving Adventures

Day 1 (Lahaina Divers):

I boarded the fairly large LD boat with approximately 15 other people. My DM for the dive was “Chris.” Chris gave us a LONG pre-dive briefing. The boat was nice and had all of the accommodations you could ask for.

I don’t recall the names of the other DM’s but there were at least two others as well as the Boat Captain.

This was my first dive in Maui. The initial dive took place a bit later in the day (5:00). We were told to cross our fingers and expect to see maybe 1 or 2 large Manta Rays. Everyone was surprised when we had multiple sightings of 16-20. It was absolutely fantastic. They were really easy to see as it was obviously still light out.

Chris was great about pointing out various critters and did a good job of leading the dive.

We again received another great pre-dive briefing.

This was their once a week night dive trip. It took place at the old “Mala Pier” that had collapsed onto the sea floor. This was a great environment for all types of critters.

This was more of an individual type dive without any real direction. Being that this was my first time to this site and because it was night, I would have preferred a bit more direction but none the less, it was an alright dive. I came across at least one White Tip Shark and a couple of turtles but not much more than that.

Too be honest, I was a little bored with the dive. I probably would have rather dove during the day. This wasn’t any fault of LD, I just wasn’t excited with the dive.

On both dives LD provided us with snacks and took care of our needs.

Day 2 (Ed Robinson):

My first introduction to the Ed Robinson operation was by the Boat Captain “Byrd” and my DM Kim. Both have worked for Ed for years and years and really make you feel comfortable.

We were greeted at the boat launch by Ed Robinson himself. He was sure to introduce himself and actually spent a good amount of time introducing himself. One thing that I really remember about the conversation was that Ed said “where do you guys want to go today?” He then said, “even more importantly, we want to make sure that we don’t go anywhere where you guys don’t want to go.” This was fantastic and to be honest, I’m not sure that I’ve ever heard anyone else say it like that. I really felt like I had an option.

Nobody really spoke up of course but Ed started talking about our first dive location “The Apartments.” He made it sound fantastic so we all decided that we should head there first as it’s a deeper dive.

The dive didn’t disappoint. There were rock formations scattered throughout the dive. Hence the name “The Apartments.” The dive was fantastic. We came across a Long Nose Hawk Fish and Yellow Stripe Coris. It was also cool to hear the whales singing.

This was another great dive. There wasn’t any shortage of things to see from huge lobsters to eels etc. We continued to hear the whales singing. For those of you that haven’t been to the back wall, it’s pretty cool. It’s a straight drop down 250 or so feet. Based on what others on the dive said, there is always things to see.

It’s a nice drift dive.

This was our last dive of the day. At a max depth of 46 feet, it’s a pretty simple dive. This was probably my least favorite dive of the day but what do you expect for the final dive? Either way, there was a large pass-through type cave that we went through that was pretty cool but other than that there wasn’t much too it.

I was really impressed with Ed Robinson Diving Adventures throughout the day. They fed us all and really took care of us. This was a true “valet” type dive. You didn’t have to lift a finger with your equipment, camera etc. It was great. To be honest, the Ed Robinson team really made things seem like a family outing. They really take care of you.

I’ve never seen a more thorough dive briefing, first from the Boat Captain “Byrd” and then by the DM. They complimented each other on what to look out for etc. They even broke out the book with pictures prior to the dive and reviewed the hand signals that they would be using for those particular fish.

Day 3 (Ed Robinson):

On the boat this day we were joined by Ed Robinson as well as DM Kim and Boat Captain Byrd. There was an additional DM named Tiffany and another gentleman that I can’t recall his name. There were a total of 11 divers on the boat.

This was again another great experience in the way dive charters should go. Ed was sure to ask everyone where we wanted to dive and the places to avoid. The decision was made to head to “Reef End” off of Molokini.

This was a pretty good dive and had quite a bit of sea life. We were all joined by a white tip shark. They seem to be all too common on these dives?

Because the dive area was fairly small for this dive the crew decided to turn our final tank of the day into a split dive. How many companies would do that?

This particular dive was fantastic as it had a TON of sea life. The great thing about this dive is that there are only a couple of large formations and because everything surrounding them is sand, the fish all stick to this one area. Great dive.

This was our final dive of the day and was pretty good. There were a number of turtles but that was about it. It was a good dive to finish off the third tank.

This was my final dive all together with the Ed Robinson crew.

Day 4 (Lahaina Divers):

This was an awesome dive solely based on diving into the “cathedral.” It was absolutely beautiful.

The DM on this day for LD was Todd. He was great. Evidently, he owns his own diving shop on the North Shore. He was excellent, before, after and during the dives.

This was a pretty good dive as well. Lots of structures, out-croppings etc. I really enjoyed it. There was a good amount of sea life as well.

Today was a little negative as I checked in at the shop first thing this morning and was greeted by someone with a less than stellar attitude. I asked her if I needed to get my wetsuit and she acted like I was a jerk for being there. Granted, I didn’t walk in, introduce myself and explain the whole story but at the same time, it wasn’t the best customer service I had seen, believe me. We finally got to the point to where I needed to get my wetsuit and she told me that I would need to go back and get it, pointing to the backroom of their shop where they keep their rental equipment.

I wasn’t overly impressed by the experience and it really put a bad taste in my mouth from the get go.

The day did get better though as I realize that her negative attitude wasn’t shared by everyone at LD, especially Todd.

Day 4 (Lahaina Divers):

Diving Moloka’i was fantastic! Just as the name indicates, it literally rained huge schools of fish.

The ride out there was particularly rough and took about an hour or so. However, it was well worth it after seeing multiple Hammerhead sharks.

What a fantastic dive. I couldn’t have been more impressed with the dive crew. My DM was “Todd.” As mentioned earlier I dove with him earlier in the week. He’s great.

Not only is he incredibly friendly, he’s extremely knowledgeable and is clearly interested in making sure that you have a great dive and have all of the knowledge possible.

In Summary…..

Ed Robinson’s Diving Adventures is an awesome operation. I can’t think of a single negative thing about the entire trip. As mentioned before, they really made the adventure seem like a family trip. They treated me absolutely fantastic. They treated me so well, I wanted to help, hopefully that makes sense. I watched them interact with the other divers as well and I saw the same consistently great service with everyone.

Ed has clearly set the standard. I interacted mainly with Kim and Byrd. Both have worked for Ed for a LONG time. I know Kim mentioned something like 18 years. (BTW, she mentioned that she has logged over 9,000 dives!) Both were great folks and although I’m sure they get tired of dealing with customers like anyone does in the customer service industry, they never showed it. They were so knowledgeable and helpful, I can’t say enough.

I would highly recommend them to anyone.

As for Lahaina Divers. I was also impressed with their folks. They were really friendly and helpful. In comparison to Ed Robinson, I’d have to say that LD is more interested “quantity verses quality.” Now, that doesn’t mean that I had a bad time nor does it mean that I wouldn’t dive with them again. I’m simply comparing them side by side with Ed.

I really enjoyed all aspects of LD and was especially impressed with the DM’s. They had excellent briefings, both pre-dive and post-dive. I really enjoyed my experience with them and would recommend them as well.

I can almost promise you a good time if you’re with Todd or Chris. They were excellent.

I will add though, on our trip to Moloka’i there was only like 8 or so divers, so the quality verses quantity comment certainly wouldn’t apply to that trip.

**-I’ve attached some pics from my trip. I’m not a photographer and don’t pretend to be. But this is what I got.

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0522.jpg
    IMG_0522.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0733.jpg
    IMG_0733.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 47
If that was Captain Byrd Gleason he was one of my ow students years ago here in NY.His brother is Bill,a good friend of mine from that time and some people on this board may recognize the name. Nice to hear he is doing well.

Thanks for the great trip report!! We dive with Ed Robinson's and Lahaina Divers and I certainly couldn't disagree with anything you said about either operation, including the store staff at Lahaina Divers.

I have to admit I'm surprised you didn't like Red Hill as that's arguably my favorite S. Maui site and I request it every year when we're on Maui. It's a site that's usually packed with creatures and critters and we've had amazing close encounters with turtles, sharks, Eagle Rays, frog fish, eels, and more macro creatures than I want to list. Of course sites change day to day, so perhaps you just had a bad day.

Thnx for the report

Thanks for the report. Was your dive at Manta Point their advertised night/twilight dive, or their advertised manta dive (which they list as being an 8am dive)?

Will be there in a few weeks and planning out my schedule now :)

Yes, the Manta Point dive was part of the night/twilight dive. I don't remember them advertising the twilight dive locations but it would seem that they probably hit the same two places time after time. So, if you're going to do the night/twilight dive, you may as well cross the Manta Point off of your list. That would be my guess. I guess you could always call but I bet they stick to that spot.

The guys on the LD boat told me last year that the twilight/night dive ALWAYS goes to Manta Point and Mala Wharf, unless conditions won't allow it...which doesn't happen often.

Outstanding report - We dove with both Chris and Todd in Feb with LD. We did Manta Point as well - but only saw 4 Manta's. Did Ed Robinson several years ago - very good but just too long of a drive from the Marriott on Kaanapali. Only 287 days til we are back.

You're absolutely right Maui Bound.... I stayed in Lahaina and thought the drive all the way down to ED was quite a ways.... I was actually supposed to dive an additional day with them but canceled simply because I didn't want to get up another day at 5:00 AM..... I was on vacation after all!

We stay in Kaanapali and drive down to Kihei catch Ed's boat daily. With the time distance, we find that getting up at 5:15 isn't that big of a deal, but we definitely enjoy it more when we move down to Kihei for our 2nd week on island. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom