Maui vs Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theres some damn good wreck diving in Key Largo (if thats your thing)
Screw topside
I can drink anywhere and eat

I hear the lagoon side of Molokini is better? Thanks for the tip about VRBO. Wow, there's a ton of deals on there! Since we have to wait before flying, we have to spend at least one day topside. I'm not all about nightlife, but I'd like it to be interesting...

Consider diving in Fort Lauderdale. You will plenty of non-diving attractions from which to chose, plus you can dive off the shore pretty much anywhere from the Blue Heron Bridge in West Palm Beach to the Eurojacks in Dania. The dive charters here are $60 for a two tank dive and dive sites are usually 20 minutes out. You can always take a day trip to the Keys if you really want to pay the higher prices and spend the extra time on the boat on the way to the dive site.

Michael
Home Page

We dove Ft Lauderdale in April. I'll agree it's very nice, just not honeymoon enough for me. Thanks though!

we are headed back to maui in October. Love that island! Plan to watch the sunrise from the volcano crater your first morning on island, when the jet lag works in your favor and before you do any diving.

Go to the Hawaii O'hana page for more detailed questions. On threads they are posting great condo deals through vrbo.com since the economy is hurting and October-November are considered the "low" season. General concensus is that the area around Kihei is the most convenient for dives.

We dove Molokini's back wall 2 years ago and made a trip to dive Lanai. Loved both. This time we will try to do more shore diving since we're going with a couple who have an aversion to boats.

We dive Maui every year and absolutely love it. Staying in Kihei will be cheaper than the Lahaina/Kaanapali area, so it's a good choice for you. Since your future husband is a pilot, can he access Interline for cheap hotel rates?? It might be worth seeing if there's a Kihei condo he can get for a good price that way.

There are less expensive places to eat in Kihei, especially if you aren't looking for fancy. Da Kitchen is great for mixed plate lunches, Moose McGillicutty's has good specials, Pizza Madness has great pizza, Fred's Mexican food has good specials, there's a BBQ place that I can't remember the name of, Maui Tacos is cheap and pretty good.....just to name a few. But staying in a condo and eating at least breakfast and lunch in is a great way to save quite a bit of cash.

As far as diving, we always dive with Ed Robinson's since they're geared toward the more experienced diver IMO. However, you can't go wrong with Mike Severns or B&B as well. I'd strongly suggest that in addition to diving S. Maui and Molokini sites out of Kihei, that you get up early one more to catch a boat to Lanai out of Lahaina. Lahaina Divers runs bit 46' Newton boats that are extremely comfortable (the most comfortably IMO) for the often rough crossing to Lanai, but Extended Horizons is usually recommended for the more experienced diver as LD is geared toward beginners and takes more divers. October/November will be very low season so it's likely most boats won't be anywhere close to full, so I wouldn't worry about that.

There's a lot to do topside on Maui as well, quite a bit for just the cost of gas. There's also good shore diving on Maui, which you can rent tanks and do yourselves, or hire a guide like Shaka Doug to help you find all the cool critters. One nice thing about Shaka Doug is that he doesn't go out until 9am (unlike the boats which leave at 6:00-6:30am), and you can do either 1 or 2 tanks with him.

I would recommend that you dive with a guide at least a few times so you can develop a bit of an eye for what to look for. Hawaii creatures are a bit different than other places, with a lot of unique creatures that can only be found there. It's definitely worth having someone knowledgeable to teach you where and what to look for.

I too will be in Maui in late October. I was bummed that we weren't returning to Kona (my favorite). I am stoked to read the good reviews on the diving. didn't think about Lanai. Have to hit it...
We always do the condo/cooking option, especially in Hawaii.

I hear the lagoon side of Molokini is better? Thanks for the tip about VRBO. Wow, there's a ton of deals on there! Since we have to wait before flying, we have to spend at least one day topside. I'm not all about nightlife, but I'd like it to be interesting...

I have made 3 trips to Hawaii. Dove for a week off Maui X2 and also the Big Island X2.
Maui over-all will give you great topside and good diving (at Molokini), clear water there. I loved the backside of Molokini better, Reefs End on the frontside was a great dive spot though. There are plenty of sight seeing opportunities on Maui; theres a bike trip down the mountain (you can coast nearly the whole 38 miles), helicopter trips, the road to Hana, we've stayed at Kaanaplai area twice. We've rented a Harley, we've searched out waterfalls. Watch the wind surfers on the north side, snorkel at BlackRock. Don't forget about a Lau with local dancers and food. Lahina is within a couple of miles where there's plenty to eat and people watch/shop.

On the Big Island for budget there's the Kona Tiki, on the ocean older 50's/60's style hotel. The cost somewhere around $80 per night. Things to do: #1 Manta night dive ( in our top ten dives that we've done and we've well over 1000 dives), #2 rent a car (which you'll have to do most any place in Hawaii) and travel to the north side to see the earth being formed by the volcano, it's awesome. Plenty of waterfalls to see, you can helicopter here as well.
We were there 1 year ago and spent a day snorkeling with 21 dolphins in the Bay not too far from the captain Cook memorial.

Most recently my wife and I spent some time in the Keys and the diving was NOT spectacular as it was very windy and viz was about 10ft (although previously we've had some good diving, its the roll of the dice in Florida). There are some things to do topside but nothing compared to the beauty of Hawaii. Maui would be our first choice with the Big Island not far behind.

The Kona Tiki:
Image054copy.jpg

Near snorkeling on the Big Island
Image084.jpg

Kaanapali's beach near Black Rock
Image467.jpg

Kaanaapli sunset cruise:
Image180.jpg

Good cheap food - Local favorite Saimin shops

Wow, very thorough. Thank you for the continued feedback. I'm getting the same info about the keys, diving can be a shot in the dark, and not much to do topside. I think we've settled on the 50th state. Thanks so much! For you Hawai'i people, I'll be posting more questions in that forum.

Thanks everyone!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom