Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lbussell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be spending some time in Maui this August. I'd like to do some diving, and would appreciate recommendations for dive companies. I did call one and was disappointed to learn that their dives are 35-40 minutes long (too short!). Also, I'd like to do some shore diving- I'd like recommendations for that, including info on how to find a buddy for this.

I'm an experienced diver (Rescue level). We'll be staying in Napili.

Thank you!

Where on the island are you staying?

You will see Mike Severns or Ed Robinson, but they can be a bit of a drive depending on which part of the island you are staying on.

You'll be about 10 miles (15-20 minutes) north of Lahaina and 30 miles (45-50 minutes) north of Kihei. That might influence your choice of operator, as per CptTightPants21.

I have personal experience with only one Maui operator, Lahaina Divers. Some time ago, my son and I did 13 dives with them. These dives were on air. Our average dive time was 45 minutes, 5 of the dives were 70-85 feet, not too bad. Today, nitrox is readily available and used by many, I would imagine dive times would be a bit longer.

The Molokini back wall and Lanai dives were most memorable for me, they were not yet going to Molokai. Today, they offer a pretty wide array of dives for the more experienced, Molokai, Lanai drift, Molokini back wall, and an interesting 3 tanker. Lahaina Divers has gotten very good recent reviews on Undercurrent, check them out if you have access.

Best of luck on your Maui trip, I would jump at an opportunity to return someday. Lot's of other great activities available in addition to diving, hiking in Haleakala and a helicopter tour immediately come to mind, not exactly in sync with diving though

Thanks for your responses! Actually, Lahaina Divers was the company that I talked to on the phone. They were the ones that said their dives are 35-40 minutes long. I'll call them back, since they are so highly recommended and discuss this issue.

I've dove with Lahaina Divers on several occasions and have always been able to dive my tank. The dive plan presented during the briefing is usually 35 to 40 minutes but they usually have all level of divers on the boat and need to plan for the lowest common denominator. They will usually group you based on experience so that the more experienced groups have longer dive times.

Having said that, they use AL72 not AL80 tanks so that somewhat limits the dive times.

Other options in that area without the hour long (with traffic) drive to the Kihei boat ramp (Severns, Robinson's etc.) from Napili are Extended Horizons or Hawaii Rafting Adventures - also out of Lahaina Harbor. EH only dives Lana'i - Lahaina Divers sends a boat to Molokini every other day also - beats the 45min. drive plus 20 min. boat ride from Ma'alea or Kihei.

Find someone doing the West Lanai drifts, that's an e-ticket ride at times. Lahaina does it once a week. They also go looking for Hammerheads off Molokai weekly in season but that can be hit or miss and a long rough ride if nothing is seen. I've been on their boat a couple times also - they segregate groups by experience level and the more advanced do the better dive. Many of their sites are like that - Sharkfin for example.

Sharkfin on the outside was a good dive but challenging - it's sad to be unable to control being blown along and see fields of Tangs, Butterflies and Moorish Idols nonchalantly holding station next to you in the current.
Drops too deep there for rec. diving also but the wall going down is pretty impressive. OR It's a easier dive between the rock and Lanai in the bay - the boat moors there - there's octos usually found in the vertical wall right off the island. The signature dives there are the Cathedrals - usually one of them is done on a two-tank.

I like Napili, we stayed in some newer condos right on the beach there once. It's not far from anything yet a lot more quieter than Kahana or Kaanapali where all the big high-rise condos/resorts are.

You can get tanks etc. for shore diving at the Maui Dive Shop in Kahana Gateway Mall, just a little south of Napili. Kapalua Beach next door is also a decent shore dive right off the beach. You don't get a lot of depth anywhere diving off the beach in Maui. You need a flag - they rent them.

IMO the best of the shore diving is in Wailea - south of Kihei. Plan a day down there - Shaka Divers or Maui Dreams Dive Co. guide in that area.Maui Dreams has a buddy sign-up sheet in the store but it will probably be mostly people diving the South Maui coastline near Wailea.

One dive not to miss is Mala Pier on the north side of Lahaina. Ask whoever you get tanks from about the legal entry to save getting a ticket. Extended Horizons guides in that area (I believe most afternoons) Tiny Bubbles is another option - they're at the Embassy Suites in Ka'anapali or Scuba Mike also works from the downtown Lahaina area if you want a guide for Mala or other nearby sites - actually Mike might work all over the island.

Most of the shore dives are listed here. All are public access but the parking will be an issue after about 9am at many of them. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

Last edited:
Steve, Thanks for all the great info! It's great to know that tanks are available close to Napili Shores (where we're staying). Should I expect low 80ºs water temp in August?

If you're an experienced diver, I wouldn't recommend Lahaina Divers (we have probably done 30 dives with them over the years). I think that their process is designed for the beginning level diver with the DM constantly asking how much air you have in your tank, and hurrying the group along on a short (35 min) underwater tour.

When we used to stay in Kaanapali we thought it was well worth it to drive to Kihei to catch a charter.

As to temperature, last year was the first time in a long time that water temperatures 83-84 degrees in August and September. The coral bleaching was unbelievable! We used to go in August a lot and the water temperature was always 79-81 degrees. Be interesting to see what this year brings with La Niña.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom