Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I generally agree with just about everything DiveMaven posts^ - I dove Sharkfin off Lahaina Divers boat one morning. Most of the group (beginners) did the easier dive though. And followed it with a 2nd, easier dive I don't recall the name of nearby. I don't think it was the Drift Dive trip, just a regular 2-tank but I don't remember.

Last edited:
Definitely dive Mala Pier, a great dive and extended horizons has some great guides if you'd like one.

There are some nice shore dives in Kihei as well but we were disappointed in how Maui Dream Dives handled groups for guided dives, we had a diver who had only ever done a few dives and hadn't dove in 8 years in our group that should have done a refresher but instead our dives were used as the refresher.

Tim at Tiny Bubbles would be best for shore dives near you. Although he is located at the Ka'anapali Beach Club (Old Embassy Suites), he will come and get you and take you to where ever the best diving is at. He goes to sites primarily from Olawalu up to Napili. He has different sized tanks for divers based on their needs/wants. I generally use a 63 cu ft tank and shore dives and get at least an hour.

We are in Maui now. I used Extended Horizon when staying in Lahaina or Kaanapali. They are a top notch operator! From the email, conversation on the phone, the check-in process, and set-up the crew makes it painless. For the boat dive you check in and meet them at Mala Ramp. You check in w the crew at the parking lot than hand your gear to the crew on the boat where they setup your gear. You than finish check in process. The crew that check you in will give a group safety briefing and do a little history experience of the crew. While the boat is launch, you can go to the bathroom or wait to use the marine head on the boat. On board, the DM will do a safety briefing and give you an in sight of what you might see than they talked to you individually and ask your experience level than they will group you. During your 45-60 mins SI, you will have a light brunch, bagels, fruits, and fruit juice. While you are eating the crew is changing your tanks. After all tanks are changed, the DM go over what you saw w a picture book to prove. In each of my first and second dives, I was handed off to the second group since I was using nitrox and my air consumption was good. My bottom time was 60-70 mins. After the second dive, you'll have snacks while the crew break down the gear and clean the gear on deck! After they are done, they will interact and talked what you saw on both dives and write the dive site/ profile and what you saw on the white board. You can take a picture of the white board than or go on their Facebook site. They usually try to dive Lanai, but if conditions aren't good they will cruise farther to find the best visibility! They are great!
The second week we are in Maui, we stayed in Kihie and used B & B and they were just ok. Their check in time is 5:45am and try to dive Molikini which is a beautiful dive site. But if Molikini isn't dive able they will dive close to shore. They don't go out of there way to find the best visibility near shore. On time we dove Molikini and our second dive we dive near shore granted that Molikini had great sealife and visibility. After 30-35 mins SI, the captain inform us that the visibility wasn't good since we are closed to shore but the pool is open. I quickly switch my tank and jump to the murky 30 ft visibility and decided to come back to the boat at 60 mins since I didn't enjoy my dives and my goggles was leaking. I knew that after our second dive it took the boat 10 mins to dock. So, I decided I rather packed my gear instead being in the muck! Also, the captain inform us that they have been awake for hours to set the boat up and would like to enjoy their afternoon in a timely manner. They also put a PADI Jr Diver in my group so bottom time and depth limit sucks! We docked at 10:30am on the first day and 10am on the second day since it was Father's Day. So don't plan on diving with them on holidays and crews birthday. If I'm in Kihie, I will used Ed Robinson or Mike Sterven for long bottom time and for experience divers.
For shore diving, my hotel had a shop on premise so I used them since they dive Black Rock while the kids and dad relax at the pool. The dive site was great, but I came back with more air than the guide after 55 mins bottom time. The guide even said this was his best dive and he truly enjoyed it. I thought I was in a discovery scuba but it's better than just sitting at pool side since the Westin doesn't heat their freezing pool and their spa is small!

I think that you'd find any of the previously mentioned companies to be very professional and great to dive with. I've had great experiences and dove with each of them at one time or another. For me (having dove in Hawaii for about 25 years) I suggest that everyone regardless of where they stay do at least one trip with Mike Severn's out of Kihei. The staff there is simply fantastic and Pauline is simply an encyclopedia of diving. I've never had anything but an amazing time with them and always learn so much from their DM's and operation. As a professional DM here in the islands I pattern much of what I do and how our operation runs by what I've seen at Severn's. They are simply top notch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom