Votes: 26 12.5%
  • Equal to or less than 160'

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • 170 +

Votes: 40 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIZZY once bubbled...
I know safety shouldn't have a price on it, but that must get really expensive doing mix on every dive !
Nitrox isn't bad, and EAN32 covers 90% of all recreational diving... it should cover 100%, but the training agencies allow for 130 and most people feel that narcosis is not a factor at that depth.

Once getting into the 100ft range, one should seriously consider the redundancy of a full doubles setup. An ESA from 100+ is risky and difficult, and even a controlled "normal" ascent while on your buddy's "octo" from that depth (with safety stop) is not easy. Throw narcosis into the mix and you can get into some real trouble.
We lost a diver and nearly lost his buddy when this very thing happened a couple of years ago on one of my favorite sites.
MHK did the body recovery.

Cold dark waters, 130 feet is normal. I've been to 160 a few times under the same cold low viz conditions, but 130 seems to be just about right for me. As for being narced, I've had a slowing of response and recognition on the odd occasion, the key is to be able to recognize and respond accordingly. Being narced does not mean you suddenly become a drooling idiot. That's for later if you have a few too many deco fluids post dive.

RLockyer had an interesting point in the mention of ESA and its safety of use. Does anyone here ever practice the ESA and are you familiar with the depth that you can easily blow and go. In an actual situation you wont know that your air supply is done until you have exhaled and there isnt any more to be had. I dont believe that divers that monitor their air will have an ooa situation but sometimes a freak of nature can become a companion at depth. So if you do esa's as a matter of skills practice is your max depth from that where your dive buddy needs to be reeled in a tad. I know of Free Divers that hunt at surprising depths but they practice the skill constantly, those of us that strap a tank on arnt quite as proficient at the skill.
Bill....Dive safe

dives and have never breathed anything other than air. When working, never below 130' since I have customers to worry about. When I dive on my day off....well, quite a bit deeper than that. Not criticizing, but I'm somewhat surprised at people who won't use air at ALL for diving...or only very shallow. I'd like to...and probably will...try nitrox at some point, but doing an average of 600 dives or so per year, I can't be spending money on it where there's not a clear benefit for me...I haven't had any "problems" that I'm aware of (DCS, significant narcosis, etc.) I guess it's like growing up driving a stickshift...maybe automatic is better, but I'm happy with what I'm using now.

Contrary to what some people seem to think, there is still a lot of "deep air" diving going on. Liveaboards in the red sea routinely push 150 ft, and dives to 200 ft (and more) are certainly no exception.

In France lot's of (wreck) dives are performed to depths of 200 ft, with few accidents.

In clear water and with not too much excertion I find 200 ft a depth that is more or less the maximum depth safely attainable on air.

If you do plan a deep air dive, make sure that you don't excert yourself too much. I find that CO2 heavily increases narcosis.

YMMV.

Steven

steevke once bubbled...

In clear water and with not too much excertion I find 200 ft a depth that is more or less the maximum depth safely attainable on air.

If you do plan a deep air dive, make sure that you don't excert yourself too much. I find that CO2 heavily increases narcosis.

YMMV.

Steven

Steve: what you say about lots of deep air diving still going on is true... it's unfortunately perfectly acceptable in many areas of the world.

I'm not going to rehash the same tired pros and cons arguement, but I what to point out something you mention in your post and I'd like you to give it some serious thought.

"I find 200 ft a depth that is MORE or LESS the maximum depth safely attainable on air." and "...make sure you don't excert yourself too much. I find that CO2 heavily increases narcosis."

Comment #1... More or less? That kinds smacks of being near the edge or having a certain amount of slop in the parameters... Do you really want your dive planning to be that near Less safe?

Comment #2... Is it wise to plan a dive so that if something happens and you have to suddenly work hard -- excert yourself -- you know the narcosis is going to hit and will most certainly compromise your safety?

Just some thoughts

Doppler

Most of my diving in the last 30 years has been below the oil platforms off of the Louisiana coast. The water depths are 100 to 400+ fsw. Most dives take me below 100 fsw some times 150 fsw all on air.
I have my own compressor to fill my tanks so I don't use mix.
I can say that I have never felt I have been affected by narcosis. I am not saying I haven't been affected, only that I have never come up from a dive and could say that I was.

Captain

was at 140' EAD.
The only thing narcosis did to me (and I felt it a bit) was to slow everything a bit but everything was totaly under control.
I will never pass the 100-110' without my budy (a good friend of mine, I don't mean a budy in general).

Mickey.

i think my deepest has been around 110ish...in the clear blue waters of coz and ambergris. some of the swim throughs that drop you out into the abyss, you have no choice but to go deeper than a 100'. that's why it's an advanced dive that shouldn't be done unless you absolutely feel comfortable about being that deep.

i'd go deeper...but the air hog that i am, it would cut my dive times down to about 20 minutes less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom