Max Dives Per Dollar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a good website. I also like the books because I take them in the car and they are easier to read.

Yes, the shore dives are shallow, But, that is one reason I like them. I can get over two hours at BHB on an AL80, and similar at LBTS and other shore spots. That's a lot of quality bottom time.

Other than maybe one or two charters yearly, all my diving is shallow (30 max) shore dives. I can get two dives a day out of one tank. That's the only way I could afford to accumulate 75+ a year. Hopefully, things will improve.

Figuring how to get more dives for the dollar (in the ocean, not the quarry, and preferably with good viz. & ideally warm water) is an interest of mine, too. I live in KY, so U.S.-based, with a south/southeastern emphasis in dive vacations.

Total Cost Mid-range Budget Florida & Caribbean Trips

In that thread, we broke down trip costs for some regional options.

A max. # of dives for the money trip is going to include some live-aboard discussion, so perhaps this would be useful - Picking A Caribbean Live-aboard.

For a boat-diving cheapskate, one would have to consider a Blackbeard's live-aboard (here's TC's report on a May 2014 trip that's informative). For me, round-trip airfare to Ft. Lauderdale's around $450. Booked far enough in advance, similar to Nassau.

But for you, being in southeast Florida to begin with, I'd check into whether the Juliet is still doing Bahamas trips leaving out of Florida. More expensive than Blackbeard's, but save the airfare and get a higher grade accommodations trip.

To really knuckle down on your dives/dollar, plan a 2 week trip, back-to-back, when you fly, so your average airfare cost is divided over 2 weeks diving instead of one.

Outside of live-aboard, the main high-dive volume regional destinations seem to be Bonaire, CocoView in Roatan (due to shore diving & drop-off dives returning from boat dives), potentially Curacao, and if you're really driven, I guess you could hit St. Croix and try to bang out enough shore dives to supplement the boat diving - Discussion About St. Croix As A Dive Destination. Also Overall Impressions From First Visit To St. Croix.

Richard.

Last edited:
3 weeks in Bonaire in January-February for 2 people ran
Airfare 1225
Apartment, truck, unlimited air. 2200.
$$$ on food ect. 1500
Total. 4925
That comes out to 820 per person per week

I think that's pretty cheap. I got in 84 dives

Yeah, that's great that you can spread the airfare cost over three weeks and that your situation apparently allows you to omit the so-called opportunity cost (what you could theoretically have earned had you not been taking vacation), but the typical Bonaire trip is one week, and every day I am not working "costs" me money. For some of us, taking MORE vacation time does not result in "maximizing dives per dollar" as the OP put it.

For reference I'm going for 1 week in July and the airfare was 468.35
Non stop Newark to Bonaire
So it's more about looking and watching airfares. I go every year and over the last 5 years the highest airfare I've paid is 625. My average $$ for the nonstop is 475

Also for the one week in July the studio, truck and unlimited air is 435.92
If you look you will find deals anytime of the year in bonaire

For reference I'm going for 1 week in July and the airfare was 468.35
Non stop Newark to Bonaire
So it's more about looking and watching airfares. I go every year and over the last 5 years the highest airfare I've paid is 625. My average $$ for the nonstop is 475

Now you're just rubbing it in. From Atlanta, no such airfares. Delta's nonstop has been around $950 for several years.

I had no idea that Atlanta to Bon was that much!!!!! Sorry
I always figured you guys would be cheaper than us up north. That sucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom