Max Dives Per Dollar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive boats gotta pay for gas/diesel, staff, tank fills, insurance + whatever else while making money. There are much more expensive hobbies out there, I don't think $65 per person is that outrageous.

You can dive the Blue Heron Bridge but it gets boring after a while. Get a friend with a boat, or pay the $65/person.

Yes but you take room + air + food etc, divide by 30 and you will not be much significantly cheaper than the $40 a dive that OP thought was too expensive.
Share the right place with 3 friends and Bonaire can be done stupid cheap.

There is lots of shore diving besides BHB. Basically, from Boca Raton all the way down to South Broward there are dozens of sites. Go to one of the local dive ships and buy the shore diving guides for south Florida (there are two , I think). This will set you up with lots and lots of dives: reefs, underwater structures, even a few wrecks Some of the reefs are hard coral reefs that are in excellent condition in addition to the usual soft corals. LBTS is particularly good about a hundred yards off the end of the pier. Between those and BHB you should be able to get 50+ dives a year, easy, from the beach or even more if you are retired or can dive any time you want. You get far beach dives fewer in the winter though because you really need basically flat calm to do these,.but July through October is pretty much good any day for a beach dive unless we have some very unusual weather, BHB is different because it is protected and diveable any time the vis is good enough.

Then, boat dives as wanted. You can "save" your boat dives for lemon shark season (Jan-March) and Turtle Season (April-August) and of course the absolutely not to be missed goliath grouper aggregation (Aug-Sept). Thus, you are getting a more-special big animal experience and not just regular reef or wreck dives.

If you want to get 100 dives a year, buy your own AL80 tanks, they will pay for themselves in about 30 dives. Then, its just gas for driving to the site and an air fill (no nitrox needed for shore dives).

I haven't got bored with BHB yet, going on 50 dives now. With the new snorkel trail and the bridge pilings there is lots of structure and, now, lots of schooling and tropical fish, barracuda, rays, the occasional turtle, the occasional manatee, and lots of colorful soft corals and sponges. It is becoming a nice "reef" dive in addition to the macro paradise. I dive it with and also without my camera and always have a good time.

Finally, and this is a "must" hook up with Gold Coast Scuba in Ft. Lauderdale. They are, by far, the most knowledgeable shop regarding the shore diving scene, they have a meet-up group that is huge and does multiple shore dives at different spots multiple days a week, weather permitting. Steve Gagas is also really nice, as are the shop people. The shop is two minutes from the LBTS beach. Grab a tank, get a park, and walk in!

If you want excellent diving that is also cheap, you are living in paradise!!

Share the right place with 3 friends and Bonaire can be done stupid cheap.

You forgot, "and get the right airfare." Delta's nonstop to Bonaire from Atlanta is generally $950.

You forgot, "and get the right airfare." Delta's nonstop to Bonaire from Atlanta is generally $950.
Lit to Atl to bon is usually $650, if you buy early enough. When I got my ticket for this December, 1st was $1047, Economy was $647.

Bonaire is probably the cheapest vacation in terms of number of dives per dollar. But, it is not "cheap" diving compared to what you have living here in Florida.

Lit to Atl to bon is usually $650, if you buy early enough. When I got my ticket for this December, 1st was $1047, Economy was $647.

We have in the past been desperate (cheap?) enough to drive 2 hours to Birmingham, park the car at a friend's house for the week, and take Delta BHM-ATL-BON-ATL-BHM for $650. Delta has great nonstops to Caribbean dive destinations, but we who live in their hub city get shafted for the, uh, convenience.

We have in the past been desperate (cheap?) enough to drive 2 hours to Birmingham, park the car at a friend's house for the week, and take Delta BHM-ATL-BON-ATL-BHM for $650. Delta has great nonstops to Caribbean dive destinations, but we who live in their hub city get shafted for the, uh, convenience.
Yep. My dad has a coworker that lives in Memphis, when he can fly without checked bags, he'll book flights to somewhere that connects through Memphis. Usually saves a few hundred.

3 weeks in Bonaire in January-February for 2 people ran
Airfare 1225
Apartment, truck, unlimited air. 2200.
$$$ on food ect. 1500
Total. 4925
That comes out to 820 per person per week

I think that's pretty cheap. I got in 84 dives

I mostly boat dive, am not crazy-active diver so that's maybe 4-5 trips per year, usually driving over from New Orleans to Pensacola/Gulf Shores for a day trip, or way over to Jupiter/West Palm for boat dives, Phil Foster Park cheapie, and vacation with my horse-riding wife who has horsie friends we stay with.

So yeah, it's $100-plus for "just" two dives of say 40 minutes. But I don't cost it out by the underwater minutes, there's more to the "dive experience". I enjoy getting out offshore, I like boats, like the waterfront and the inlets, shooting the bull with the Captain on the way out, meeting new dive friends, getting an instabuddy, and the "ritual" of gearing up and down. And the warm shower afterward (most boats), and the free grilled hot dogs and homemade ice cream (the Wet Dream out of P'cola). And the occasional deep dives (Hole in the Wall off Jupiter) you aren't going to get by wading in off the beach, most places. And if you forget gear, often the boat can come up with a pinch-hit.

For me, it's worth it. Shoot, a Broadway play is $150 for one (half that at TKTS if you wait in line, aka "shore diving" ;-)

(full disclosure: I have a dusty captain's license I have used a couple of times on liveaboard dive boats as a fill-in, so I could be biased?? nah....)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom