May 21st

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogman_5

Contributor
Reaction score
Just cuz I suffer from CRS (Can't Remember S***)...

WStein
Cooltech
TheCaptain
Skink
Walter

Sound about right?

Watch out for Walter... he'll challenge a bull shark...

Waited on Wstein, but not that long!

Pulled away from the dock at 9:15, slightly behind schedule... Headed out into the bay, winding our way through the channel, into Tampa Bay on onward to the Gulf.

On a lark, I decided to investigate a wreck almost directly in our path on the way out. The Debbie Ann tug was right where the numbers said she would be (thanks, AUE-Mike and SW of SSS) and actually showed up on the sonar on the first pass! First we tossed a jug on the site, and then we tossed Skink and Walter to take a look and see if it was worth dropping anchor. The came back to say there was indeed a wreck and not just a pile of scrap metal. She turned out to be very picturesque little tug of about 60', and fairly intact although there are several hole in her sides, giving the oportunity to swim through. She still has her monsterous 6 cylinder diesel aboard, although her prop is gone. Absent was the red algae, probably due to tidal currents from Tampa Bay. Location, 5 miles west of Bean Pt, depth 40', vis 20' temp. 74 deg.F.

Next stop, the Gunsmoke. I hadn't been out there in 2 years. The huricanes have done some damage, collapsing part of the cabin roof and changing her 30 deg. list to 45 deg, but for the most she's still all there. Lots of fish, from some tuna to bait balls to a big Jewfish or two. We made this a short dive, as we were still using the same tanks as the 1st dive. Depth 75', vis 30', bottom temp 64 deg.F (I was told, wearing only a skin I started shivering to much to look!)

Next stop, the Fin Barge. Since it was only 4 miles, we took it nice and slow to degas and warm up. (Should have kept that 12v coffee maker!) Arrived to find 2 boats on the site. One, a fishing boat pulled anchor as soon as we arrived. The other turned out to be some spear fisherman who weren't bright enough to put up a dive flag. We made a few jokes at their expense and watched their girl friends bending over the rail to look in the water while we suited up. First in was Walter and Skink. While they were down up came a big Loggerhead turtle that floated on the surface for at least 3 minutes before diving again. Once they returned, I, the Captain and Cooltech dove in and went down to the barge's stern. There were of course, the Jewfish. We then found ol' Loggerhead sitting on the bottom by the wreck, feasting on a sea cucumber. We headed for the bow, swimming through and finding more jewfish and some open compartments I hadn't noticed before, which contained, you guessed it, more Jewfish! Depth 85', vis 35', temp. 72 deg.F.

We returned to the boat and Walter and Skink and already stowed their gear. We pulled the anchor and set the autopilot for the ride back home. The winds picked up a bit and the ride got a little bumpy, but an otherwise perfect day!

Rich

frogman_5:
... 74 deg.F. ... 64 deg.F ... 72 deg.F.

We returned to the boat and Walter and Skink and already stowed their gear. We pulled the anchor and set the autopilot for the ride back home. The winds picked up a bit and the ride got a little bumpy, but an otherwise perfect day!

Rich

Excellent report, Rich.

Both my computers showed 76 deg. F for the last two dives (I think the skin made you feel like it was 64) :14:

The turtle Walter didn't see!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom