May Be a Silly Question...but Liveaboards and Seasickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing that helps is crystallized ginger-it helps keep the motion sickness at bay and is yummy, too! You can find it at health food stores.

Here's a question I've never seen anyone else ask....after being on a LOB for a week, do you ever get "land sickness"? You know, the feeling like the ground is swaying back and forth and you can't walk a straight line for a few days after you get off a boat. Weird!

Here's a question I've never seen anyone else ask....after being on a LOB for a week, do you ever get "land sickness"? You know, the feeling like the ground is swaying back and forth and you can't walk a straight line for a few days after you get off a boat. Weird!

Most folks suffer to a lesser or greater extent from "dock rock".

Most folks suffer to a lesser or greater extent from "dock rock".

I have never been sea sick; but I can still feel the Terra firma swells the next day after an active live-a-board.

I get it pretty good for a day, and I can still feel the boat rocking a little during my first night back at home, which I like a lot. :) Sadly, it stops in the second day and then my great vacation is officially over. :(

I travelled on a boat from Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands to Cape Town in South Africa.
I felt rough every day, but I used a combination of wrist bands and Kwells tablets (Hyoscine Hydrobromide) which kept me functional, even when caught in a storm in the roaring forties.

Something that gets overlooked are prescription meds. If you're going diving, ask your pharmacist if motion sickness is a possible adverse effect when picking up a prescription. If so perhaps an alternate medication is available. One of the malaria prophylactics falls in this category, name escapes me at the moment.

My wife gets really sea sick. I had wanted to take a liveaboard trip for a long time. She was very nervous about doing it. I was informed that I would have to hire a boat to take her to land if she could not handle it. She has tried several over the counter meds and they work so so. She still was on the verge of being sick and would get sick on the landbased skiffs. This last year we took our first livaaboard. She tried the normal meclazine before boarding and for the first day and was not feeling good. We changed it to scopace .4mg tablets every 8hours and added sudafed to it. In a half hour she was up and feeling great for the rest of the trip. There was another lady that was green and heaving over the side. I gave her some of the same and she was up and good for the rest of the trip. It has opened up a new world to us. where she was nervous before she is now activly planning our next trip. You will need to get an rx for it but it has worked for us when other things did not. If the other things work great but if you need something more this might help.

Floyd

I have been on 4-5 live aboards ranging from 3 days - 10 days. I get seasick very easily but have found a system to prevent it. The night before my trip, I take a dramamine. Then when I get on the boat, I take another. Then I keep taking them for the entire trip as often as the medication allows. (I think every 4-6 hours.) I usually don't sleep through the night so when I wake up at 3am I also take one. I NEVER decide "I'm feeling okay so I'll skip one." I just keep taking them. (I should buy stock in the company.) Using this method I have never gotten seasick during a live aboard.

Even though I take daytime dramamine during the day, I am usually pretty tired by late evening. This doesn't affect my diving... it usually just means that when everyone else stays up late drinking, I go to bed. (10pm) Fine by me -- I'm there to dive and not party.

I was in Belize this past January and it was stormy the entire time. Lots of big waves and the weather prevented us from doing the Blue Hole. One woman was sick the entire time, another person was sick on several days, and I think a third person threw up at least once. I was fine BUT only because I used the above method.

When I do not eat dramamine like candy (but still following the medical recommendations) then I always get sick on boats.

My biggest fear, thats why I dont do liveaboards. AND I was a boat owner and would occasionally even get sick on my boat! Tried everything, sometimes it worked other times no. Just something I live with

I generally don't get sea sick, but when I do...Oh Boy. I take Dramamine and it works just fine for me. I also spend as much time topside in the fresh air and find that peppermint candies help settle a queasy tummy. The larger the boat, the more likely it is to handle rough seas smoothly. However, I have been on large cruise ships that were rocky in stormy weather (ie water sloshing out of glasses). Best thing to do is get a head of the sea sickness and stay ahead of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom