Maya Palms Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fellowtraveler44

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
First, get out of Cancun. My 12 year old son & I spent the better part of a week at Maya Palms resort a few hours down the coast from Cancun, and it was awesome. We flew into and out of Cancun (Las Vegas on the Ocean, except the signs are in Spanish), and felt like tourists during the few hours we spent in that city. The trip to Maya Palms in our rental car, on the other hand, was refreshing, and a real eye-opener. The small Mexican villages on the way are a culture shock, but the locals were very friendly and treated us like noveltiesl; we all enjoyed communicating with the little Spanish we knew and the little English they knew. A great experience. Check out some ruins, too, which dot the whole State of Quintana Roo. Don't be concerned about driving in Mexico; the roads are nice with plenty of gas stations along the way.

The diving at Maya Palms was awesome. My son & I saw huge turtles (loggerhead & hawksbeak), an abundant supply of the biggest angelfish I have ever seen, lobster, barracuda, and even a manatee. The reef consists of endless small canyons called "spur and groove" formations you can swim through. The reef - which I understand is the second largest in the world - lies just a couple hundred yards off shore, and is entirely unspoiled, with tube sponges several FEET in diameter. (A few of my amateur photos are attached.) Ken and Chuconne are as friendly and knowledgeable divemasters as you will find anywhere.

Maya Palms is located in authentic Mexico. After diving, check out the town a few kliks up the ocean road, which is bona fide Mexico where the locals go for the weekend. The jungle surrounding Maya Palms is so serene, you can spend hours combing the beach for seeds the size of half dollars that drift there from other continents. Owners Cathy & Doug know all about them, and countless other things you would never otherwise know about life in Mexico. Cathy, Doug & Ken have some interesting stories of life there; it's all pretty incredible. My 12 year old loved it. You won't find a better place for a vacation.

The private rooms with awesome showers and air-conditioning are steps away from the palopa, where we ate most of our lavish meals, and enjoyed a tranquil view of the ocean. Lounge in a hammock, or loaf poolside in the afternoon, with service from the bar and kitchen that will spoil you. Atop Maya Palms' pyramid, the sunsets are breathtaking. We were treated by the owners and staff like friends and royalty at the same time.

You won't go wrong here. Just don't wait for this area to get overrun by too many tourists. Right now, you get pristine reefs, friendly hosts, and boundless tranquility. If you want over-dived reefs with acres & acres of cement, go to Cancun; if you want incredible marine life in real Mexico, go to Maya Palms.

Attachments

• hawksbeack-turtle.jpg
    hawksbeack-turtle.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 40
  • groove-spur-diving-very.jpg
    groove-spur-diving-very.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 39
  • tube-sponge-one-of-the.jpg
    tube-sponge-one-of-the.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 43
  • one-of-many-angelifish.jpg
    one-of-many-angelifish.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 41
Went there during a cruise ship stop in Mahahual. Had two nice dives and enjoyed lunch there too. Definately remote.

First, get out of Cancun. My 12 year old son & I spent the better part of a week at Maya Palms resort a few hours down the coast from Cancun, and it was awesome. We flew into and out of Cancun (Las Vegas on the Ocean, except the signs are in Spanish), and felt like tourists during the few hours we spent in that city. The trip to Maya Palms in our rental car, on the other hand, was refreshing, and a real eye-opener. The small Mexican villages on the way are a culture shock, but the locals were very friendly and treated us like noveltiesl; we all enjoyed communicating with the little Spanish we knew and the little English they knew. A great experience. Check out some ruins, too, which dot the whole State of Quintana Roo. Don't be concerned about driving in Mexico; the roads are nice with plenty of gas stations along the way.

The diving at Maya Palms was awesome. My son & I saw huge turtles (loggerhead & hawksbeak), an abundant supply of the biggest angelfish I have ever seen, lobster, barracuda, and even a manatee. The reef consists of endless small canyons called "spur and groove" formations you can swim through. The reef - which I understand is the second largest in the world - lies just a couple hundred yards off shore, and is entirely unspoiled, with tube sponges several FEET in diameter. (A few of my amateur photos are attached.) Ken and Chuconne are as friendly and knowledgeable divemasters as you will find anywhere.

Maya Palms is located in authentic Mexico. After diving, check out the town a few kliks up the ocean road, which is bona fide Mexico where the locals go for the weekend. The jungle surrounding Maya Palms is so serene, you can spend hours combing the beach for seeds the size of half dollars that drift there from other continents. Owners Cathy & Doug know all about them, and countless other things you would never otherwise know about life in Mexico. Cathy, Doug & Ken have some interesting stories of life there; it's all pretty incredible. My 12 year old loved it. You won't find a better place for a vacation.

The private rooms with awesome showers and air-conditioning are steps away from the palopa, where we ate most of our lavish meals, and enjoyed a tranquil view of the ocean. Lounge in a hammock, or loaf poolside in the afternoon, with service from the bar and kitchen that will spoil you. Atop Maya Palms' pyramid, the sunsets are breathtaking. We were treated by the owners and staff like friends and royalty at the same time.

You won't go wrong here. Just don't wait for this area to get overrun by too many tourists. Right now, you get pristine reefs, friendly hosts, and boundless tranquility. If you want over-dived reefs with acres & acres of cement, go to Cancun; if you want incredible marine life in real Mexico, go to Maya Palms.

My wife and I are going there in July. Do you have any rental car tips? My credit card supposedly covers comp/collision, but I am skeptical. I really don't want to end up in a Mexican jail during our postponed honeymoon.

We used Dollar car rental, which tacked onto the rental costs a premium for liability insurance. The rental agent said the liability insurance was mandatory. I'm not sure that it was actually mandatory, but it sounded like a good idea in Mexico to have insurance. I understand that the laws there are a little different if you're in an accident, so I chalk that up to part of the cost of international travel. The driving itself, though, is really not much different that driving in the states. Having a car and seeing the Yucatan Peninsula is definitely worth it. Get some fresh mango from the people selling it roadside in most towns; it's great. I would also get a decent map before arriving in Mexico, or before leaving the airport; gas stations along the way don't carry them.

Back
Top Bottom