Mayan - dive ops at resorts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dectek:
Then again I could be reading too much into your words. You may have just been giving the OP a little background on the hotel so they could form their own opinions... If so....I am sorry I upset you.
Yep, you are. But it's ok :wink:

I don't know if you are a man or a woman, Dectek, I'm assuming you are male.

As a woman, I would not want to be married in a place where murders had been committed (and especially where the victims were parents of the bride). I wouldn't want to even have to deal with that knowledge. All things being equal (as I said in my original post) I would choose another resort. It has nothing to do with my perceived safety, just the memory of a tragedy that occurred there. That's all. Hope that's a little more clear now.

I don't want to stir the pot too much, but my wife and I stayed at the Barcelo in Jan/07. I thought it was fine. I didn't expect the servers to be serving me at the buffets, that's what it's all about. I also did 9 dives (including my cert dives) with Dressel. The three dives (one day) in Cozumel were MUCH better than the boat dives off of the resort. For the price, it was very competitive if you include transportation to Cozumel, lunch and drinks at the Iberostar, and three tanks diving. I also saw some of the screwing around by the dive staff, but it didn't bother me much. They were professional when it came down to diving (or as much as I know). I will say that the Barcelo has a much better beach than most of the other resorts along that area. We dove with a Canadian couple that also stayed at the Barcelo, they said there was a bunch of uncertanty that surrounded the murders, they said that some people thought it may have been someone from their own party, etc. Who knows. There weren't any ghosts floatintg around when I was there. I'd stay there again if I was going to do a similar vacation. I will say that the x puha has ZERO beach, is very narrow (they rebuilt on a portion of their property after the hurricane), they left the torn up huts there, it almost looks like a hotel graveyard.
Everyone has a different opinion.
Good luck

scratchmyback:
Yep, you are. But it's ok :wink:

I don't know if you are a man or a woman, Dectek, I'm assuming you are male.

As a woman, I would not want to be married in a place where murders had been committed (and especially where the victims were parents of the bride). I wouldn't want to even have to deal with that knowledge. All things being equal (as I said in my original post) I would choose another resort. It has nothing to do with my perceived safety, just the memory of a tragedy that occurred there. That's all. Hope that's a little more clear now.

Dive Aventuras is awesome, and they do pick up. Check out tripadvisor.com for info about each of the hotels you are considering.
have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom