Maybe I didn't understand what this board is for

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deba

Registered
Reaction score
I thought this was a board to discuss issues amoung those of us divers who solo dive.

Sorry If I misunderstood.

Deba

deba:
I thought this was a board to discuss issues amoung those of us divers who solo dive.

Sorry If I misunderstood.

Deba

It is......check out the following paragraph from the NetDoc: >>The discussion is not to be centered around whether to do a solo dive, but in the techniques and strategies involved. Do not participate if you have already decided that solo diving is not for you! Thanks in advance.<<

What are you talking about above?

Deba.. can you please provide a link to what brings this question up or PM me with your concern? :)

CBulla:
Deba.. can you please provide a link to what brings this question up or PM me with your concern? :)
"Deba.. can you please provide a link to what brings this question up or PM me with your concern?

It may be that I looked back too far, or it may be that I got off the "solo" board with a search and didn't realize it. It's just that I was finding a lot of who should/why you shouldn't/how dangerous/etc.

I just found and joined this board and look forward to gaining the benefit of the experience of the other members here. Be patient with me please...God isn't finished with me yet. :D

Deba

Deba - that would explain a lot. In the past there were many VERY heated discussions about solo diving. In fact one of my very first posts to the board landed me in a huge amount of stuff when I asked about it. Like a few other things in diving there are strong feelings for and against. In the end this is the reason we made the solo forum, so that people had a place to discuss the topic intelligently without fear of being flamed. Don't worry, you've found a really great board and I hope you enjoy/learn/contribute loads in the future!

p.s. Welcome to the board!! I don't know if you've been to our Introductions forum yet, but if you haven't pop over and say hello - we've got a whole load of people longing to meet you! :wink:

There was also some discussion about moving some of the older solo diving threads into the forum when it was created. I do not recall what was ultimately decided, but if this in fact occurred, you may have encountered some of those threads with some fairly negative posts in them.

But it is now firmly a no troll zone, so those types of arguments about whether people should or should not solo dive should not be occurring here.

deba:
I just found and joined this board and look forward to gaining the benefit of the experience of the other members here. Be patient with me please...God isn't finished with me yet. :D

Well, defintely a hearty welcome to you! No worries, patience is something of a virtue of mine :D

I agree with Kim. Solo diving has always been Taboo and never really talked about but done all the time by many folks. The funny thing is that you and your "Buddy" may be 100 or 200 ft away underwater are you solo or diving with a buddy? Look at every dive as a solo dive even with a buddy. Yes maybe they can save your butt or you can do the same for them but in the real world if you get seperated by a far distance you are alone. And alone with a complete back up system is better than a bad buddy or one to far away to reach, that said you are solo. And sometimes solo and prepaired is better than unprepaired with a buddy. I like to dive solo with a group better odds!!!!!!!

In my concern for dive buddies, I've rushed my kitting up, gone deeper, stayed longer, finned faster. I've also done some borderline rapid ascents. I've dived in boderline conditions where I'd have most likely aborted on my own. I've gone away on weekends where the majority of the group have overindulged the first night and have cancelled the next days diving. A group of divers in the water as far as I can see, is a cloud of silt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom