Maybe its just me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To other posters, I think the op is talking AOW deep not deep dive certification deep. Nitrox in the recreational "deep" depths is appropriate.

You are guessing. That's why I asked the questions...which he has not answered.

To the op, you got certified in August this year and show less than 25 dives so no way you can cry experience without card. You want boats to allow you advanced dives, find a mentor and get the experience or better yet just get the training. AOW, done as it should be, is way more than just a dive below 60.

To other posters, I think the op is talking AOW deep not deep dive certification deep. Nitrox in the recreational "deep" depths is appropriate.

You are guessing. That's why I asked the questions...which he has not answered.

Agreed. But he/she did choose to post in basic not advanced. Just applying logic on my end. Not necessarily applicable to all. Won't know about the op until he/she chooses to respond.

Last edited:
Yeah I read it as the threadstarter having been denied dives deeper than 18m and not able to rent nitrox tanks due to the basic OW ticket. It is a little ambiguous as to what qualifies as "deep"

It is a little ambiguous as to what qualifies as "deep"
61 ft in PADI land.

Most dive ops that I have seen that require experience on your log ask for 80 ft or more. Some deeper.

I see a lot of OW on 80 ft dives. Seen some OW on 100 ft dives but they dove with a DM for first or both dives.

As for the earlier comment on 100 ft dives most of the folks are diving Nitrox. I am conservative so usually dive 30%. 30% and other custom mixes are readily available in NC.

Um, let's break this down one remark at a time. First, you have posted on your profile that you are new to diving and you have 0-24 dives. By inference you have a minimum OW level training through SSI. I know that recreational limits for diving without a guide for PADI is 65 feet for basic OW. I would also infer that you don't have nitrox training either. And you are upset that a reputable dive operator won't let you do a deep dive which I assume you wish to go around 100 feet or so without the requisite training and experience.

Panicking in open water is not a function of diving deep. Nitrogen narcosis is a function of deep diving. Hubris is that since you may be a very good diver for basic OW that you can now dive to 100 feet without any experience and without any training. Of course you haven't experienced nitrogen narcosis and without the training you won't recognize it's effects either. You might want to rethink the gripe.

I know dive captains that literally turn away entire charters if the group doesn't give him a warm and fuzzy. His boat, his insurance, his license, his ass getting sued if something bad happens. Can't say as I blame him.

I know dive captains that literally turn away entire charters if the group doesn't give him a warm and fuzzy. His boat, his insurance, his license, his ass getting sued if something bad happens. Can't say as I blame him.

Not saying that you don't... But that is pretty hard to believe.

I would think it would take a whole lot more to cancel a charter than not getting "warm and fuzzy" from the group.

---------- Post added December 5th, 2014 at 06:22 PM ----------

Now maybe it is a tech charter, but then that wouldn't apply to basic scuba discussion.

While certification doesn't guarantee a level of competency to complete a specific task, it does show that the student at one time was taught a certain skill set for that cert. Liability & insurance in this country have run amok so all dive ops & dive pros are hesitant to just take a stranger's word for it...thus "Show me your card" has become the way business is done.

That being said, a good instructor can help you target your weaknesses & bad habits and can introduce you to new tasks and more importantly teach you to safely task load.

No dive op wants to turn down your business. They just need proof that you have a specific skill set to stay safe during specific dive conditions you might encounter at that dive site.

Come down to Key Largo and I can get you all sorted out and ready to safely enjoy the dives you want to do.

You obviously don't dive NC.

Fwiw, he's a tech guy that also runs rec charters. If he doesn't think you are experienced enough to dive NC wrecks, you ain't getting on the boat.

His safety record is far better than the majority of NC charters.

No, I don't dive NC... yet.

But it is a whole lot different not letting someone on the boat and canceling a whole charter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom