Trip Report Media Luna Review vs CoCoView

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brodydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We had a great trip to Media Luna last week, 7/8 - 7/15/17. First let me say that CajunDiva (Jackie) did a fabulous job of booking the trip for us, answering all questions promptly, and providing tips on the resort and their dive shop. If you're thinking of giving ML a try, she is your go to person!

We've been to Cocoview several times and after reading comments abouts ML we decided to give it a try. When we first started diving all we wanted to do was dive all day so liveaboards and CCV fit the bill for us. As we've gotten a little older and settled in with our diving we find that we enjoy some down time throughout the day on our land based trips. The idea of staying at a resort with some amenities vs staying at a dive camp appealed to us.

I found that ML is a great resort with a few extras if you want to do a little more than just dive. It isn't extravagant but much better than the "dive resorts" we're used to staying at. While it is an all inclusive with families there, I never felt intruded upon or disrupted in any way by children. It was still a quiet resort and there is always an area you can go to if you need more solitude. Here are the differences as I viewed them.

MEDIA LUNA PROS
Nicer interior in rooms
Much bigger bathrooms, large shower and double sink in our room
Each room is a private Bungalow vs shared buildings at CCV
No screen doors that slam early am or late pm when you're trying to sleep vs neighbor's who allow their screen doors to slam at CCV
Satellite/cable TV in each room with many English speaking channels vs no TV at CCV
Grounds are much prettier with tropical plantings and stone walkways throughout entire resort
3 pools vs no pool at CCV
Multiple decks/terraces (5-6) throughout the property with chaise lounges on all of them and chairs, tables and umbrellas on some vs 1 small one at CCV
Beach area with chaise lounges and a volley ball net vs not at CCV
Spectacular view from common areas, a big step above the view at CCV
Gym, 2 pool tables, and a table tennis table
Sodas, local beers and house drinks including frozen ones included vs extra for all of those at CCV
3 different boat dives daily vs 2 different dives sites and then a drop off at one of the 2 house reefs for 2nd and 4th boat dive at CCV
Nightly entertainment vs only a few nights at CCV

COCOVIEW PROS
Cold water on the boat vs warm water on boats at ML
Coffee Maker in rooms vs not at ML
Coffee available in the lobby early am and throughout the day vs only at meals at ML without paying extra at the coffee bar
Huge Distilled Water Jug in rooms vs 6 small water bottles given at beginning of week that you have to fill up at filling stations located centrally in the complex at ML
Hot foods always hot vs most food that was supposed to be hot being barely warm or cold at ML
Everything seems to be in good repair vs thatched roofs on bungalows in a bit of disrepair and some tiles needed replacing in the pools
Shore diving any time day or night vs shore diving only available during dive shop hours (which closes at 4:30 or 5) at ML
Internet access in rooms vs only at lobby and restaurant areas at ML
Best dive set up and boats ever
More impressive walls out front although ML does have a good wall for shore diving
Better food and not as repetitive at lunch and dinner as ML
All rooms have a view of the ocean vs only some have ocean view at ML

I'm sure some of you who have been to these places will disagree with some of my views but this is how I see them.

So I say if you want 4-5 dives a day and that's basically all you want to do then CCV is the place for you. If you want 2-3 dives a day and then just relaxing around the pool or you have non-diving family members then Media Luna is a better choice. Both places offer valet type services of setting your gear up and switching out gear between tanks.

Media Luna

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 92
Wonderful post allowing the reader to choose what they want in a trip. Very informative. Thanks for taking the time to post such a great review of two fine resorts.
Beautiful pictures also!!

Rob

Very appreciative that you took the time to post this comparison. It was quite helpful. Were the overall costs comparable between the two?

Very appreciative that you took the time to post this comparison. It was quite helpful. Were the overall costs comparable between the two?

For off season, prices would be very close depending on room type. With CajunDiva's pkg at ML taxes are included in the price quote. For CCV you have to add on 19% tax to the price you see on their website. For high season I'd say you'd save a couple hundred at ML.

With taxes we saved $310 per person at ML vs last years off season trip in Sept to CCV... which was another reason to try ML. If we'd gone to CCV in July, which is high season rates for them, it would have been an additional $200 saving us $510.

Granted we do like the over the water accommodations at CCV and we took a non water view at ML since we had a pool and areas to hang out in.

Excellent, practically useful review! How did sand flea issues at the two compare, if any? Per CocoView's website, kids have to be at least 10 years old; I didn't see any reference to a minimum age at Media Luna's website (in fairness, I like CocoView's website way better - easier to navigate, informative, not flooding my eyes with a cacophony of photos, and I wonder how often people bring kids to Media Luna?). From the map, looks like Media Luna is closer to Roatan's West End and West Bay; did many people 'get off the reservation' and go to town? Is that a significant benefit?

Richard.

Excellent, practically useful review! How did sand flea issues at the two compare, if any? Per CocoView's website, kids have to be at least 10 years old; I didn't see any reference to a minimum age at Media Luna's website (in fairness, I like CocoView's website way better - easier to navigate, informative, not flooding my eyes with a cacophony of photos, and I wonder how often people bring kids to Media Luna?). From the map, looks like Media Luna is closer to Roatan's West End and West Bay; did many people 'get off the reservation' and go to town? Is that a significant benefit?

Richard.

Good question on the sand fleas. I should have included that. We had a lot less trouble with sand fleas at ML than any of our trips to CCV. I saw them raking the beach's sand in the morning and a friend who lives on the island tells me that's a good way to decrease them.

No, ML is further east than CCV and so even further away from West End and West Bay. It's probably close to an hour's drive to West End. I do know a few people from one dive group went over to West End on Friday afternoon and evening but most divers stayed on site.

There were a few kids there probably down to age 3 or so at ML but not a bother to me. And not having kids of my own...that is something I always take into consideration.

Thanks; on location, I was going off Media Luna's About Us page. Apparently that site marker on the map is for Roatan, not Media Luna Resort (I say again, their website needs work!). Trip Advisor has a better look at the location. Good to know about the kids. I don't see Roatan advocated as a family destination with little ones on the forum, but having a 4-year old, it's something I think about.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom