Media Luna, Rich Henry and Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't give you an apples to apples comparison. I have never been to FI. This was my first ever dive experience. In fact, I did my certification dives there. I can only give you my opinion, as a first time diver. The dive staff was very professional, friendly and knowledgable. All of the equipment was new equipment and they had everything we needed. They offered three boat dives a day, shore diving and night diving. All of the dives that I did were incredible. I was going to FI because that is where my father and his wife always went and that is where they wanted to take us. People asked for more information on Media Luna and I am happy to share what I experienced. We were faced with terrible circumstances and almost missed out on our entire trip but instead had an experience of a life time.

Sounds like somebody has Stockholm syndrome.

Sorry, but in my limited intellect I don't understand, Who is the hostage,who was kidnapped, who has a gun held to their head.....Stockholm syndrome?

I still don't get the comparison.How would a diver who always booked trips at Fantasy Island to dive their butts off be happy at a resort that isn't centered around diving, doesn't offer the same dive, dive, dive experience.
I don't think anyone was trying to make any comparisons, but if you look at my Media Luna Trip Report thread on this board you will see why someone like myself who likes ordinarily to dive, dive, dive could be quite happy there.
If you have any serious question about our family's experience I would be happy to respond to your PM to me, as I agree throughly with Codman's previous post on this thread.

Sounds like somebody has Stockholm syndrome.

I still don't get the comparison. Sounds like Media Luna is all about the resort experience and Fantasy Island is all about diving. So how was this an apples to apples exchange? If people were booking vacations to Fantasy Island they were doing it for the diving not the thread count of the sheets. How would a diver who always booked trips at Fantasy Island to dive their butts off be happy at a resort that isn't centered around diving, doesn't offer the same dive, dive, dive experience. If you're so happy at Media Luna, why in the world were you going to Fantasy Island all the time? Why wouldn't you have always stayed at one of the more resort centric resorts on the island instead of Fantasy Island?
mfinley919- as stated in our posts- this was the first dive trip for both southerngal and I so we are not comparing Media Luna to Fantasy Isalnd- we are simply reporting on our experience at Media Luna. With that being said- I cannot compare Media Luna and FI but I can say that I believe that Media Lunda offers the best of BOTH worlds. They ARE set up for the die- hard divers. They are equipped to offer divers three dives per day as well as night dives- the dive sites are not far from the resort at all and are absolutely gorgeous and full of the most amazing and beautiful sites. The fact that the resort is so gorgeous, comfortable, and the staff is so amazing is an added bonus for divers. We dove sites such as Mary's Place, Calvin's Crack, Church Wall, Missing Link, Valley of the King, Anka's Place- And the shore diving that is unlimited that is available right there from the resort is phenomenal as well. The dive masters Claire and Ricardo were so very wonderful- espcially because they knew that we were new to diving so they made sure to point out all the little hidden sea treasures that we would not have known were around us. Our group was able to see nurse sharks, turtles, sting rays, grouper, coral, seahorses, lionfish, - I can't even name all the wonderful wildlife we saw. I'm sure as Southerngal and I dive more we will be able to focus and report more and more on the diving aspect. I will say this- there was one man that dove with our group that was there with his wife, daughter, and son-in-law. He was the only diver in the family and he was extremely happy with the fact that all his diving needs were satisfied, the rest of his family could have a more than pleasureable trip as well.

I have been to Fantasy Island more than 14 times over the past 15 years. I was scheduled to go there again but there was some problem with the reservation and Rich Henry was able to book me at Media Luna for no extra charge for the same dive package. Both places dive most of the same sites. Its closer to Calvins crack and Church wall at Media Luna , Fantasy is closer to Mary's Place and sites near the west edge of the island. With the package I had they both had 3 boat dives a day and used Aluminum 80's. They both had unlimited shore diving and I used Nitrox at both places. I was able to dive the day I arrived at Media Luna without begging while at Fantasy I could not always do that and frequently did have to beg even though I was a frequently returning guest and everybody knew me well. Dives were 60 minutes long at both places. The groups were smaller at Media Luna so its easier to go to the sites the divers pick instead of a pre-planned location. Ricardo and Claire genuinely listen and are generally successful at accommodating you. The greatest advantage of Media Luna would be for divers who are unsure of themselves. Ricardo and Claire know how to leave alone the divers who neither want or need intervention and help relax the ones that do. The resort is ridiculously beautiful and brand new. Air conditioners and hot water all work. You can't always say that at Fantasy Island. The food and service is 5 star at Media Luna but I have always found it good enough at Fantasy Island. I had a great 2 weeks. I don't require that nice a place but even I, the cheapest guy on earth, depending on the cost would spring for more money to stay there again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom