Medtronic Pacemakers and Scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you really want to enjoy the underwater world with the restrictions of your pacemaker you should enjoy it......DCS at the shallower depths are rare to non-existant therefore AGE is your only major concern... so don't hold your breath underwater while breathing compressed air..

Last edited:
Just checked with the Medronic clinical tech rep and they do indeed advise not subjecting them to pressures greater than 2.5 atmospheres absolute, or 49.5 feet of sea water. Is the reason your physicians wouldn't clear you to dive simply the presence of the pacemaker, or is it related to your cardiac function?

Best regards,
DDM

Just checked with the Medronic clinical tech rep and they do indeed advise not subjecting them to pressures greater than 2.5 atmospheres absolute, or 49.5 feet of sea water. Is the reason your physicians wouldn't clear you to dive simply the presence of the pacemaker, or is it related to your cardiac function?

Best regards,
DDM
It is a combination of both really. I spoke to my cardiologist, a cardiologist with a lengthy background in dive medicine, and a hyperbaric doctor. My heart block is 100 percent. So I am totally dependent on the pacemaker.

---------- Post added September 18th, 2014 at 02:54 PM ----------

I am going back and forth. But from a safety standpoint, I'd rather not take the risk. Still really disappointed though

---------- Post added September 18th, 2014 at 02:55 PM ----------

I am going back and forth. But from a safety standpoint, I'd rather not take the risk. Still really disappointed thoug

---------- Post added September 18th, 2014 at 03:00 PM ----------

Pacemaker makes and models have different depth ratings, but this feature is almost never considered at the time of placement. At minimum you need one rated for the depth of your intended diving and then clearance from the cardiologist to dive for whatever the condition the pacemaker was placed for. Should you find one suitable, it can be changed at the time of battery replacement or should the current one malfunction for any reason. Pacemakers are a in solid metal container and they will be crushed taken deep leading to at worst, fatal issues.

I'd get one capable of the deepest possible depth as a margin of safety, even if you don't intend to do such depths. Do your own homework and call all the manufacturers, because doctors and hospitals are usually stuck to a particular brand usually based on volume purchase contract issues, and diving is not a consideration in the choices.

Pacemaker Club: Support & Information For Pacemaker & Defibrillator Patients

I have always had luck with Medtronics. I've had 3. I'm not due for a generator change for another 8 years. I would rather stick with Medtronic

---------- Post added September 18th, 2014 at 03:20 PM ----------

Im not a MD Scott, but dang, I don't think you should dive. I feel for you, totally crappy situation to be in....

There are some additional factors to consider as well, like what if something happens to you, how will your dive buddies handle that? And what if something happens to your dive buddy, can you rescue him at 100 feet?

There are organizations that take people diving who have challenges, with high level trained-skilled DM' volunteers who are equipped to deal with issues that might arise, hopefully someone will pipe in with some info....

yea man I'm really disappointed. I've always wanted to breathe underwater!

I do not know what my friend has for a pacemaker and defibrillator. He told me once that his tools where approved for 100 feet, but I have seen him past 130. No warranty of course

He may have a different brand than medtronic. Do you know what type of pacemaker he has?

He may have a different brand than medtronic. Do you know what type of pacemaker he has?

As noted above, St. Jude devices have been pressure tested to 200 feet, and they did not fail at that pressure. If they were to fail at a greater pressure, they would simply stop working and then resume working when brought back to a lesser pressure. For patients who are only using pacemakers to prevent their heart rates from dropping too low, usually during periods of rest (and, yes, there are such people), that presents no problem. If you need your pacemaker to function continually, then it is a problem.

I wonder to what degree makers other than St. Jude have actually tested their devices under pressure.

As noted above, St. Jude devices have been pressure tested to 200 feet, and they did not fail at that pressure. If they were to fail at a greater pressure, they would simply stop working and then resume working when brought back to a lesser pressure. For patients who are only using pacemakers to prevent their heart rates from dropping too low, usually during periods of rest (and, yes, there are such people), that presents no problem. If you need your pacemaker to function continually, then it is a problem.

I wonder to what degree makers other than St. Jude have actually tested their devices under pressure.

Apparently, Medtronics have been tested to 100 feet and no damage has occurred. BUT for legal reasons, they caution patients to only go to 50 feet. Because that is the company's official stance, doctors do not feel comfortable allowing me to go past 50 feet. Basically, it is all very unclear. The irony of which is not lost on me.

---------- Post added September 18th, 2014 at 06:54 PM ----------

What is a DCS treatment?

What is a DCS treatment?

In very broad terms:

While bellow water, the diver breaths compressed air. The nitrogen in the air gets dissolved throughout the body. The diver must limit his time underwater and speed while ascending to allow a safe liberation of the dissolved nitrogen. When he stays underwater too long or ascends too fast the nitrogen forms bubbles in his blood, preventing proper circulation and causing damage to the body part where the bubble occurs. In severe cases, it may lead to paralysis or death.

The treatment for this malady, called decompression sickness (DCS), is to put the diver in a hyperbaric chamber to compress the bubbles back into solution and allow a controlled release of nitrogen.

In very broad terms:

While bellow water, the diver breaths compressed air. The nitrogen in the air gets dissolved throughout the body. The diver must limit his time underwater and speed while ascending to allow a safe liberation of the dissolved nitrogen. When he stays underwater too long or ascends too fast the nitrogen forms bubbles in his blood, preventing proper circulation and causing damage to the body part where the bubble occurs. In severe cases, it may lead to paralysis or death.

The treatment for this malady, called decompression sickness (DCS), is to put the diver in a hyperbaric chamber to compress the bubbles back into solution and allow a controlled release of nitrogen.

Thank you!

Apparently, Medtronics have been tested to 100 feet and no damage has occurred. BUT for legal reasons, they caution patients to only go to 50 feet. Because that is the company's official stance, doctors do not feel comfortable allowing me to go past 50 feet. Basically, it is all very unclear. The irony of which is not lost on me.

---------- Post added September 18th, 2014 at 06:54 PM ----------

What is a DCS treatment?

Just limit your diving to 50 ft, assuming you're otherwise cleared to dive. The chances of DCS from that depth are small. And be careful to avoid embolism by by ascending slowly and not holding your breath. If you should need a chamber treatment, the difference between 50 and 60 ft pressure is very small -- they can recompress you to 50 FSW instead of 60.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom