Meg BOV options - Divesoft vs ISC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgttrey

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking at BOV options for my Meg. Not super interested in the GG because I don't want to deal with the customer service issue (even if I mitigate that by going through SubGravity rather than GG).

So, I've narrowed it down to the ISC BOV and the Divesoft. I would be grateful for the thoughts and perspectives of those that have used them. Attracted to the Divesoft primarily because of the form factor, which seems much less imposing and heavy than the ISC. But, I'm open to being educated by those who have used either/both and can give me pros and cons.

Thanks y'all.

Thanks. The MAV option is definitely interesting, particularly as my minnow lungs don't have a mixed gas bypass like my old OTS lungs.

A couple of weeks ago I had a slow DIL leak through the shutoff/ADV which drained most of my remaining DIL. I ended up having to plug my deep bailout into my O2 MAV. It was no big thing, but I like the idea being able to plug in offboard without having to do that.

What are each BOVs respective Open and Closed Circuit WOB?

Will adding one over the other increase or decrease or maintain your units WOB?

Is either one comparable to bailing off to a mediocre performing 2nd stage with regard to WOB performance?

Are they both neutral in the water? Can you remove hose weights or do you need to add them?

Which one comes fitted with a gag strap?

What are their recommended maximum operating depths in OC for bailout?

In before the pdf!!!

face MAV's = the bees knees, integrated ADV also helpful. No brainer in my mind.

Question for you @tbone1004 regarding O2 flushes with the face MAV.

I'm used to O2 flushing my Meg by crushing the loop between inhale CL and DSV and jamming O2, which then runs backwards through the unit, venting through the dump on my exhale CL and mouth. Does a pretty good job of cleaning everything out.

With the face O2 MAV, which I assume is adding O2 downstream of the mushroom valve, that backwards circuit isn't possible. What the procedure for a flush? I'm not really seeing a path for getting pure O2 to flow back through the can, since the only dumps are the mouthpiece or the exhale CL OPV, both of which are immediately downstream of where the O2 is being added. Do you run a separate hose to the regular O2 MAV on the CL and use it as normal?

Just trying to think through how I would use those MAVs.

Question for you @tbone1004 regarding O2 flushes with the face MAV.

I'm used to O2 flushing my Meg by crushing the loop between inhale CL and DSV and jamming O2, which then runs backwards through the unit, venting through the dump on my exhale CL and mouth. Does a pretty good job of cleaning everything out.

With the face O2 MAV, which I assume is adding O2 downstream of the mushroom valve, that backwards circuit isn't possible. What the procedure for a flush? I'm not really seeing a path for getting pure O2 to flow back through the can, since the only dumps are the mouthpiece or the exhale CL OPV, both of which are immediately downstream of where the O2 is being added. Do you run a separate hose to the regular O2 MAV on the CL and use it as normal?

Just trying to think through how I would use those MAVs.
The Meg runs backwards of most rebreathers since the loop direction is backwards, one thing to think about with the face MAVs is that while you can change the direction of the bov using the mushroom valves, you are better served reversing the loop to "standard" direction *basically just change the hoses on the head connectors* and then you would pull the O2 through the unit. Dil flush would then be the crush and flush. Probably a bit more than most divers would be willing to change since we have the only unit on the market now that goes "backwards" though I do argue that it's the only one that goes "forwards" since it flows in the same direction as the double hose regulators.

Yes, that's more than I'm willing to change. I'm also fine with the O2 MAV where it is on my CL. I wonder if I can get a dil MAV only. As I said, I could use that one for sure, both as a replacement for the MGB I lost when I got the minnows and because the Meg ADV is not my favorite and I'm tired of having to fiddle with and feather the ADV shutoff valve every time I need a little more loop volume.

But, just to spin out what you discussed, are you talking about flipping the loop hoses on the head? You'd have to flip the mushrooms too in order to keep the flow moving the same direction through the scrubber. Maybe I'm just not following exactly. It does sound pretty radical. I've got no problem with the loop direction on a Meg, even if we are oddballs.

Back
Top Bottom