Meg Teeth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Mike,

They are Bill's teeth. He has some of the best I have ever seen and way better than those I have found in the Cooper and Venice. Although I have seen an occasional large, quality, tooth come out of the Cooper and Venice. When you say up here, do you mean Charleston?

I dove the Cooper for many, many years. I now dive with a partner and we are more focused on blue water these days. I only made a few dives in the Cooper last season. It was not a good location. It was VERY picked over.

I have only been to one spot on the Cooper that I recognized immediately as a "BONE-YARD". I wish I had recorded the location so I could go back. I landed on large black dinasaur bones and large Megalodon frags.

I am hoping to dive the offshore Wilmington site. Maybe this coming season. Not really impressed with the beat up teeth they are finding, but no one knows when you are going to run across a gem.

I found a fossil ledge offshore Charleston this past season. May go back there also. It is limestone and full of fossilized material. Only problem is you have to dig. I dont really have a problem with it but it takes a lot of time

I will post a photo of the fossilized scallop I found offshore Charleston this past season.

Your helmet sounds cool!

ps: have some good Cooper River boat references if you like, let me know

100_7380-1.jpg

Fossilized Scallop / Charleston SC

Mike,

The seldom dived site I mentioned driving over to in my posting above, was Bills. Because of the value of the Megs, it is one of those, as they say, "Top Secret Sites"

I drove over to a seldom dived site the other day and noticed some old gray Megs coming out of the water. I was expectin the usual frags with dents, dings, peeled enamel, broken tips, and damaged serrations.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Mike,

The seldom dived site I mentioned driving over to in my posting above, was Bills. Because of the value of the Megs, it is one of those, as they say, "Top Secret Sites"

Those are definitely nice teeth. I may not have the collection you all have going but I am only into it a year now. Here are some pics of some of my teeth, I really need to get shots of my latest dive finds. Oh, I mean Charleston when I say "up here" lol. I sure would LOVE to dive on some dino bones.

Here I am, the bald guy on the left
PA160007-1.jpg

Here is the only Angustidens tooth I found that can stand on its root
mailgooglecom.jpg

My latest 3" Mako tooth out of the Ashapoo river
3inchmako.jpg

One of three big Angustidens teeth i found this past year in the Edisto river
This one is 4"
SAM_0411.jpg

SAM_0409.jpg

My best hemipristis tooth to date, a nice 2" super sharp tooth
DSC_0402800x600.jpg

Some of my megs, the hot wheels car is there for size reference only
DSC02674.jpg

I will try and get more pics of some of my other teeth later tonight.

Last edited:
Mike ... you are no beginner when it comes to fossil hunting. i know a beginner when i see it and you aint no beginner. you have some killer teeth. some very nice ones. i know from experience how many frags one must sift through to find one GOOD tooth.

Here we are on Phil's boat motoring back into the French Quarter, an area down stream from Durham Creek

here are some old Cooper River photos I took years ago

FQ.jpg

103-0393_img.jpg

104-0403_img.jpg

103-0356_img.jpg

WOW, some very impressive teeth everyone! If surgery on my big toe goes well this spring, I hope to get out to the east coast later summer. I am the type of guy that wouldn't bother buying a tooth, but would love to find one. It sounds like there are many places to find them. Exciting stuff. It does sound like it is more exciting to sift through and find one your self. Thanks for posting those awesome pics everyone, I appreciate it. Makes me want to go right now and start looking!

WOW, some very impressive teeth everyone! If surgery on my big toe goes well this spring, I hope to get out to the east coast later summer. I am the type of guy that wouldn't bother buying a tooth, but would love to find one. It sounds like there are many places to find them. Exciting stuff. It does sound like it is more exciting to sift through and find one your self. Thanks for posting those awesome pics everyone, I appreciate it. Makes me want to go right now and start looking!

Wader, (my son's name is Wade) if you find yourself coming to Charleston, SC, give me a heads up first. I'll be glad to take you out and have you try and find your own tooth. Your best chance will be diving though.

Wader, (my son's name is Wade) if you find yourself coming to Charleston, SC, give me a heads up first. I'll be glad to take you out and have you try and find your own tooth. Your best chance will be diving though.

Thanks for the offer, I hope to be able to take you up on it :D

Back
Top Bottom