Mega vs Chedraui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcohen1021

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So, I am staying at El Cantil and I see the Chedrui is across the street from the condo. Need an opinion as I have never been inside the Chedrui... Is Chedrui on the same quality level as Mega?

Also, does either store carry agave syrup? I have been making my rock margs at home with tequila, cointreau, fresh squeezed limes and agave syrup and wondered if it was available on the island...?

THANKS< CANT WAIT!

BTW - anyone who will be there between 7/22 and 7/29, want to happy hour @ CDM, LMK!

Chedraui is like (and compares itself to) a Walmart. While I have never been to a Mega, Chedraui has been totally fine. Not sure about the agave syrup.

Both are good but in some ways I'd say Chedraui is a small step above Mega. Not sure about agave syrup, but I think Chedraui may have a slightly larger selection of grocery items in general.

I usually go to Mega just due to location and convenience but Chedraui has been the several times I've been there. It's a smaller store and more focused on groceries if I recall correctly.

Stayed in El Cantil a couple years ago, did most of the shopping at Chedraui, and browsed the Mega once or twice, comparable selections and prices didn't jump out as being grossly different, a couple of pesos either way. Was kind of like Acme vs. Giant at home, sales on same items at different times.

So, I am staying at El Cantil and I see the Chedrui is across the street from the condo. Need an opinion as I have never been inside the Chedrui... Is Chedrui on the same quality level as Mega?

Also, does either store carry agave syrup? I have been making my rock margs at home with tequila, cointreau, fresh squeezed limes and agave syrup and wondered if it was available on the island...?

THANKS< CANT WAIT!

BTW - anyone who will be there between 7/22 and 7/29, want to happy hour @ CDM, LMK!
There's not a lot of difference between them. Mega is newer.

Why not just walk in and take a look....there's no charge for admission.
Why not just walk in and take a look? Any answers you get here, no matter how snarky or well-intentioned, will be almost useless in terms of knowing whether a particular item is in stock, on the shelf, the day you walk into the store.

I've shopped at both stores. Sometimes on the same day. They are very closely comparable. I like the "deli" section (prepared foods packaged to order) at Chedrui better. I like Mega's bakery a little better (though there are much better choices outside either supermarket). Chedrui's got a somewhat wider selection of fresh fruits & veggies and maybe greater turnover -- but more tourists seem to buy f&v at Mega, so the selection there is more carefully, um, pruned to weed out some of the bruised produce.

If you do not see agave syrup on the shelf you'll need to be able to ask for help finding it in Spanish or have a picture of it. Little to no English is spoken in either place.

Thanks for the replies. I know there's no charge for admission lol

Spanish isn't an issue since it's my 1st language.

But I am curious about the agave. I think we could rig up some other sweetener if needed, or bring from home. I just prefer to not have to bring it with me.

My family & I stay at El Cantil, and I can attest to it being a bit easier to shop at Chedraui because you can push your cart to the end of the parking lot, across the street, and then put your groceries on the elevator with your spouse, buddy, child, etc. And then just take the cart back.

It’s not so easy with the Mega if you get a bunch of groceries and then want to walk back to El Cantil.

But in regards to a comparison, I think they both have about the same thing. We also prefer Chedraui just because the grocery items seem to be a little easier to find.

Back
Top Bottom