Megadive @ Ginnie!!!!!! May 5-7, 2006!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes after wasting an hour surfing on line I have decieded that this is a Red Shouldered Hawk or Buteo lineatus

OK! Now for the trip/event report! Aside from Andy locking himself and his sheep in his tent, (darn those zippers), it was an unbelievable event.

Friday afternoon, lunchtime, Scubafool, Lil’ B, and I arrived and started setting up camp. After the banner and tents went up, we had only Tao and his Lady show up. Later on, more people began to filter in. Camp was beginning to take shape. The Pavilion made a welcome addition, however, we’ve decided it was extraneous. (That means: more than we needed, for you work-truck drivers.) Thank you incredibly to all whom assisted in any way. This was an awesome event! Friday night dragged as people slowly arrived. I missed the Friday night festivities to get an early start on breakfast Saturday morn. At 5am, Chicken Little began running around camp yelling that the sky was falling! We rallied to the call and covered everything for a 30 minute long, light shower of rain. After we captured and flung Chicken Little into the river using the sheepbuchet, we started on breakfast. A little later than optimal, the traditional omelet in a bag ceremony went surprisingly well. I believe Simon’s was the only one that ended up on the ground before he… :O
…and thank you to SCUBAJENNY for helping prep breakfast.
A few people made the river run which was abnormally clear! I will post my pix as soon as I pull them from the camera. The lunch went very well and we have found the cooking combo! Parboil chicken prior to event, toss on grill to reheat and finish cooking, then into the BBQ sauce bath to simmer until chow! I have a list of improvements for next year, however, it’s all a work in progress. Holly was able to do a drift dive and brought me a new t-shirt!
WOOHOO! TROJANMAN!
I didn’t get the decorations up, except for the flamingo pod which would end up being horribly abused and violated throughout the weekend!
(At least they weren’t treated as bad as Andy’s sheep were. SHUDDERS!)
Saturday eve, those that were able, went on a drift dive and galaxy dive/toxic deployment in the ballroom at Ginnie! Ahh, the fun of silly sticks. I took two red ones, and seeing that Maneater had ear trouble, decided to release the mutagenic mixture into the lobby instead of forcing our way into the ballroom. AWESOME!!! The small globules of red fluid were as lava on the rocks’ surfaces. A few made it to the air bubbles in the ceiling, which lit up the mercury-like pockets.
As my body was aching from all the day’s activities, the entire dive was done without a wetsuit. I felt surprisingly comfortable. In both Devil and Ginnie, my gauges read 72-73. In the river, I found one of Scubafool’s warm water pockets at 98.6, that’s odd…Then it leveled back out to 82. The river was clear, even considering the silt left behind by the main scuba party. At least it wasn’t by those amateurs that joined in at the last minute at the eye.
After the dive was over and everyone arrived back at camp, it was time for the fireside activities. We cant even BEGIN to allow some of the things that happened there to be posted on this, a family forum! Let’s just say, Andy getting a lapdance from a FOOLish hula dancer in a grass skirt! AHHH!!! BURN OUT MY EYES, PLEASE!!!! We even had three guys from another area show up late at night. They said that everywhere it was dead, and since we could be heard almost from the park entrance, they figured, they’d check us out. Needless to say, THEY COULDN’T HANG!!! They panicked and ran away at the bleating of Andy’s harem! The things that can be done with sheep by a lawyer! I thought that only happened in a vicious divorce! SCARY!
I have also noticed how MANY, MANY different songs, by the third stanza can be melded very smoothly into, “Mommas, don’t let your babies grow up to be cowboys…!”
After the invisible tattoo rum bottle showed its ugly head, the Crawdad and the Wolf began glugging! I still HAVE the empty bottle! Need ta find THAT stuff!
Here comes Sunday morning, and a late one for some it was. After being met by a very GROUCHY Jenny, who stomped around complaining how she could hear crickets breathing from miles away, the morning arose. Tents began falling, except for the fool’s, which mysteriously refused to allow him to exit. You didn’t see ANYTHING!!!! Another morning of omelet in a bag, and it was time to break camp. A few others went diving for the last day. My understanding is that the water was still glassy and clear in the river.
I took Monday off work as I have learned in the past. Ahhh to be able to sleep the day away while others returned to WORK!!! MWU HA HA HA!!!!

To all that brought food, it was delicious! To all that chipped in, helped out, volunteered, or just gave moral support, you rocked, too! To Scubajenny and The fool, as this was the first night I have stayed up at the fire, you made it the MOST memorable and enjoyable ever! To ANDY, the eternal target of our chaotic ramblings, it was great having you camp with us! To our new friends, welcome! To our old friends, you smell rotten, but we still love you! I am looking forward to next year’s megadive, which will be scheduled during early April, possibly the weekend of the first, April Fool’s Day! A perfect way to ring in Midnight, Saturday at the firepit! The next theme has been decided on as well,… Pirate Lunacy! This will fit in very well with the mallowgun wars as well. Next year will be the year of the megamallowcannon, the mallowbuchet, and the Taoapult Water balloon launcher! I expect to top this year’s event by the next!

I will be having an Octoberfest at Ginnie, but it will not be a major planned event. It will be, potentially, the weekend prior to Halloween, but will be a potluck event. We plan on entering Ginnie’s costume contest as well. This was a big hit last year with our own group, as was the pumpkin carve.
I will be putting more emphasis on the April Fool’s Day Megadive. The funds that flow over to that one, will go to site rental, deposits, and perhaps, prizes for Pirate costumes, especially the diveable ones.
We can discuss some ideas for the mallow wars, making it more structured, and actually competing across a campsite to eliminate players. Last mallow standing wins! May the best mallow win!
All hail the mallows!

To anyone who contributed in any way, thank you immensely! Scubaboard.com has become well known in these here parts. I can only hope PETA and local law enforcement can find a way to forgive us for it!

“Megadive 07! Pirates of the Caribbean. The curse of the rum tote!”

Another great event at Ginnie.
What more could we possibly add to whats already been said.
To those who missed the event "you will never know" for those who attended "we will never tell". Once again Ken you throw a great event and we are already looking forward to next year. Getting to drift dive the Santa Fe river at night and day was a real treat. To all the new board members we met it was a pleasure to meet you. To all the veterans you are why this event is always a blast.

i tell you... there sure is a special camaradery amongst the Conchs who attended

it was an awesome get together

sheepman:
i tell you... there sure is a special camaradery amongst the Conchs who attended

it was an awesome get together
Yes, it was. I had a blast and look forward to next years megadive. I just hope I don't have to wait that long to see everybody again!

*MR* Sheepman

Ken, great report. Now I don't have to write one! :D

I just now awoke from my coma, so thanks to all for my Comatic state, it was all sooooo worth it.

Seriously, it was a great weekend, I just wish I could have partaken in the saturday night post-dive events. Unfortuantely, I was coming off of a month of nightshifts, and my sleep habits were all warped up. The daytime drift dive was amazing as usual, and oh what wonderful things we conchs do manage to find. The would be dusk, but suddenly night time drift was even more spectacualr as the night time creatures came out to eat. And no we weren't finning, we were drifting. Honest.

The sunday morning dive in the Devil system was super amazing, since it was my first dive in that system. I just wish my camera hadn't died off. Hopefully crawdads and coreys pics turned out... I still wish I had made a few dives on friday, but alas fate had it in for me. Primary mask had broken gasket, secondary was nowhere to be found. (Thanks for the assist Fool)

Made alot of changes to my pack list for the next trip down, made a few decisions on scheduling so I dont come back home, and face a work shift right after. (That Monday shift liked to have killed me.) With each trip down, we only plan to make it better and better. At the rate I'm going, it'll turn into mega dive week if I'm not careful!!! I hope next year I can bring my two fiddler crabs, they've never been camping, but a megadive should be a good experience for them.

To all the new faces I met, it was a great pleasure to party, and dive with you.
To Adder and crawdad, it was really great meeting the two of you, I hope to dive with you guys more in the future, and it was fun cutting up and diving out with you two. Can't wait to see the pics. To Jenny, it was fun as always hanging with you, and thanks for making the wife feel like she was a part of things.

To Ken and maneater, thanks for a great event as always, you always know what you are doing when it comes to these things. And thanks for undertaking it, and putting all the effort into it that you did. With each event they seem to surpass the last. Can't wait to see the one next year.

Simon and Gibbon, as usual, it was great talking to you guys, nothing like stimulating conversation to make my day.

Andy thanks...for what, I'm not sure, but we'll figure it out...LoL.

Next year the theme should be "Send Money, Guns, and Lawyers....."

Tao of the Dive:
Next year the theme should be "Send Money, Guns, and Lawyers....."

Tao obviously missed the previous theme posting. Next year's theme is Pirate Lunacy. So your idea fits right in! Money, guns, AAAAAAAAND lawyers. Andy should feel RIGHT at home!

I'm thinking tangled reels fits in there somewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom