Mel Fisher - Has Anyone Dived the Atocha Trail?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(quote) You obviously know little about today's technology also. Today's metal detectors can read a non-ferris metal from about 2 to 2 1/2 feet. The sand on the Atocha trail is a minimum of 5 feet deep and goes as deep as 20 feet. Although Mel Fisher's is actually about to start testing on a long range metal detector there is not one in the world yet. There are magnetometers that can see ferris metals, Iron or anything with a magnetic field, from a much farther range, but they do not see gold or silver. (quote)

This is old technology and has worked well for me. It goes 8 feet down and i have picked up large objects deeper than that. Although i will never will have the opportunity to scan for large silver bars i would imagine it would pick them up also.

JW Fishers PI Sled
So after doing much research of what to use on the 1715 wreak sites, I have come up with the JW Fishers PI Sled

Information about the PI coil Sled.

"COMMERCIAL DUTY DETECTION SLED

8 X 48 Inch Sled-Searchcoil | Pulse 8X/6X

BEACH SLED SEARCHCOIL!

The JWF Sled-Searchcoil Provides The Largest Detection Pattern Available! The Pulse 8X/6X-Tuned Searchcoil is mounted on top of four small skis. Intended To Drag Over Clear Ocean Beach Sand And In Shallow Ocean Beach Water.

+ Covers The Largest Detection Area In 1 Pass
+ Surface Detection Pattern About 12 Feet Wide (4 Feet From Each Side Of Searchcoil)
+ About 8 Foot Depth Pattern
+ Greatest Large Object Detection Depth (Large Canon, Ship Boiler, Anchor, Filled Treasure Chest)
+ JWF Research Results Provides This Unique Searchcoil Pattern For Their Pulse Technology That Yields Good Sensitivity And Response To Small Metal Objects Such As Rings, Coins, Gold Jewelry Chains, Escudos Gold Coins (Doubloon), Pieces of Eight; Weapons, Buried Metallic Money, Hinges, Locks!
+ Unique Wide Sweep Pattern At The Deepest Capability Of The Dynamic Electro Magnetic Detection Pattern! This Is A Huge Advantage Over All Round Searchcoil Technology! "

(quote) You obviously know little about today's technology also. Today's metal detectors can read a non-ferris metal from about 2 to 2 1/2 feet. The sand on the Atocha trail is a minimum of 5 feet deep and goes as deep as 20 feet. Although Mel Fisher's is actually about to start testing on a long range metal detector there is not one in the world yet. There are magnetometers that can see ferris metals, Iron or anything with a magnetic field, from a much farther range, but they do not see gold or silver. (quote)

This is old technology and has worked well for me. It goes 8 feet down and i have picked up large objects deeper than that. Although i will never will have the opportunity to scan for large silver bars i would imagine it would pick them up also.

JW Fishers PI Sled
So after doing much research of what to use on the 1715 wreak sites, I have come up with the JW Fishers PI Sled

Information about the PI coil Sled.

"COMMERCIAL DUTY DETECTION SLED

8 X 48 Inch Sled-Searchcoil | Pulse 8X/6X

BEACH SLED SEARCHCOIL!

The JWF Sled-Searchcoil Provides The Largest Detection Pattern Available! The Pulse 8X/6X-Tuned Searchcoil is mounted on top of four small skis. Intended To Drag Over Clear Ocean Beach Sand And In Shallow Ocean Beach Water.

+ Covers The Largest Detection Area In 1 Pass
+ Surface Detection Pattern About 12 Feet Wide (4 Feet From Each Side Of Searchcoil)
+ About 8 Foot Depth Pattern
+ Greatest Large Object Detection Depth (Large Canon, Ship Boiler, Anchor, Filled Treasure Chest)
+ JWF Research Results Provides This Unique Searchcoil Pattern For Their Pulse Technology That Yields Good Sensitivity And Response To Small Metal Objects Such As Rings, Coins, Gold Jewelry Chains, Escudos Gold Coins (Doubloon), Pieces of Eight; Weapons, Buried Metallic Money, Hinges, Locks!
+ Unique Wide Sweep Pattern At The Deepest Capability Of The Dynamic Electro Magnetic Detection Pattern! This Is A Huge Advantage Over All Round Searchcoil Technology! "

What depth will it pick up a single gold/silver coin?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom