Memories of Norine Rouse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

subcmdr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The year was 1977, and I was a recently certified OW diver, having been certified at Annapolis by a group of Navy SEALs. Being young, fit, and fairly athletic (at least compared to the general public), having been trained using hard-core standards using legacy Navy dive gear (big masks, single-stage regs, big knife on the calf), I had a certain opinion of how diving should be done.

Over spring break a friend of mine offered to take me on a road trip to West Palm Beach to his "local" dive shop for some warm water dives (something I had never done). He promised me he would introduce me to a local diving legend, somebody who had been featured on the cover of Skin Diver magazine. Wanting to see how the civilians do it, I took him up on his offer.

His local dive shop was the "Norine Rouse Dive Club" (or was it Scuba Club?), and I was horrified to see that the diving legend he referred to was a 60+ year old lady, a few pounds north of what might be referred to as an "optimum body-mass index." I wondered how this lady could possibly do what those Navy SEALs had taught me to do!

After a few dives with Norine Rouse, I quickly realized that she could probably have out-dived any one of those SEALs. More to the point, I learned more about diving from her than any of them, and she did it without beating the crap out of her clients. Not only did this teach me about diving, it taught me about life.

In 1980, after graduating from the Academy, I was stationed for six months down in Orlando. Since an aunt of mine had recently moved to West Palm, I'd spend weekends down there, living in my aunt's apartment and diving with Norine's club. After a few weeks of this, I ended up working for Norine as a part-time divemaster for drift and float dives, swimming "tail end charlie".

I loved my time down there, and was grateful to receive from Norine a steak dinner after my first buddy-breathing rescue (of a J-valve owner who didn't know how to operate said J-valve). The next day, Norine introduced me to this new-fangled device known as an "octopus," and I bought one on the spot. I learned much from her.

Only after joining Scubaboard a few weeks ago did I learn of Norine's passing in 2006. I have very fond memories of this great lady, and looked for an appropriate tribute to her. Not finding one, I figured I'd post this to welcome anyone else to post their memories.

It was the Norine Rouse SCUBA Club, later the SCUBA Club of the Palm Beaches, now just the SCUBA Club. I first dived with Norine in 1984 when I was a new, inexperienced diver. She was one of a kind. Looking at the club website, I see they still have 3 of the instructors I crossed over to YMCA back in '91 (could have been early '92).

I dove with NRSC in the early 80s and remember Norine and some of her staff. I especially remember the turtles that use to dive with us. Seems like one was named Robert. Last summer, my daughter and I stopped by the SCuba Club for a dive on our way to the Keys. It brought back fond memories. I did not realize she had passed away though. She is definitely a legend.

OK this thread was titled "Memories of Norine Rouse", so I can add a little something.

I met her briefly in 1980-something at a dive and travel show in Miami near the Airport.
I was told she was important after walking away from her booth at said show, and never made it up to WPB while she ran the joint. As I recall, the boat trips cost as much as a regular 2 tanker, and they (The Scuba Club) only did one tank dive trips. I figured that this was the Palm Beach jetset crowd, and my poor self would just not fit in. I may have been completely off base on that. I recall that she hated spearo's and had a love affair with a turtle.
It seems to me that she only wore a bright yellow wetsuit, and I may be remembering this all wrong.
I guess I am wondering, I heard that there was some infighting at the club she founded, and she separated from the place. Is this correct?
Either way, she was definitely a pioneer up there in WPB from the conservation and environmental standpoint. Nowadays we might call her "green".

And that is what I recall.

Chug

Back
Top Bottom