Memory cards for DC800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MOTO69JOE

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to take the plunge and get a DC800. I'm sure not all SD cards are created equally. I'm lost as to which card to get (4GB). I'm sure some are faster etc... than others. Help!:confused:

I'd check the specs on the camera to find out which card it'll support. We bought a DC600 last fall and really enjoy it, but according to the literature that came with the camera, it'll only support a 1gb SD card (I've heard scuttlebutt it'll actually support a 2gb card, but haven't tried it).

In my experience so far, the 1gb card has been great but you could find yourself limited if you're without the capability to download the memory card daily (if you're on a week-long dive trip, say).

Just checked the manual, it looks as if the dc800 will support up to a 4gb card. SeaLife camers have historically had a strong preference for SanDisk brand cards, I have had significant issues with other brands.

SeaLife recommends using SD or SDHC memory cards up to 4GB, which will take about 1500 large size, fine quality pictures or at least 30 minutes of continuous video. We recently tested 8GB and 16GB SDHC memory cards from popular brands like Sandisk, Kingston, PNY and Lexar without encountering any problems.

SeaLife no longer recommends using ONLY SanDisk, Panasonic, or Toshiba brand memory cards. Our testing over the last several years indicates that these brands are reliable cards, but many other brands have also proven to be just as reliable. We have not found any compatibility problems with brands like Delkin, Lexar, Kingston, PNY, Kodak, Polaroid, Kingmax, and Eye-Fi (wifi card). SeaLife cameras are designed to work with any brand of SD memory card.

I recently bought a Sealife DC800, and bought a SanDisk 2GB card (on sale, so hey :D). I highly recommend buying the XD version - it's much faster to write to, and if you shoot video with your camera, you'll need the speed to capture error-free.

I have a slew of older cameras (by older I mean a little over a year) & they only go up to 1 gig. As the 1 gig cards are getting harder to find I recently purchased a bunch for a good deal. They all work in my DC800. I also bought a 4 gig card figuring changing cards isn't all that easy (or recommended) at depth. The card works fine but I had a bit of an issue getting my card-reader on my computer to read it.
Anyway, I have yet to use more than a quarter of a gig on vids and photos in a single day (although I only used the camera on 3 different days while diving)

just got back from bahamas with the dc800 with single strobe first time using underwater.if you are using the strobe turn it way down if up close i washed out some great pics.take some rechargables for strobe and look into extra battery for camera.i used 4gb card 150x ultra II card works great.i contacted sealife about larger cards will work but much slower recovery times. have fun takes lots of pics.memery doesn't cost, missing shots does

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom