Mentor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have heard some about mentor's as I have researched GUE training. What exactly is the idea behind it (I do know what a mentor is looking for GUE specifically towards the diving mentor) and what others experiences have been, as well how you chose a mentor.

Thanks

I have heard some about mentor's as I have researched GUE training. What exactly is the idea behind it (I do know what a mentor is looking for GUE specifically towards the diving mentor) and what others experiences have been, as well how you chose a mentor.

Thanks
Mentoring typically means someone who's doing the dives you want to do after your training helps you prepare for training. As far as how to fine one, look for a GUE group local to you. I know Rainer is near LAX/LGB area, and Blackwood is near San Diego. I would PM those two and ask if they know of any GUE diver events in your area coming up.

There are several GUE groups in souther CA. I would go to the GUE instructor list and reach out to Steve Millington, Karim Humza, Marc Hall, Jo, those are the active peeps there. There is plenty of opportunity to jump in with a great group of people diving on a regular basis. If for some reason you can't get a hold of them send me a pm and I will make the introduction. Enjoy. Best, Bob 6077653942

Thanks

The transition from the typical OW diver to a GUE diver is a big one. Unless you were lucky enough to be started in, or buy GUE-compatible gear, you will be changing equipment. You will almost certainly be encountering new concepts, ranging from equipment balancing to minimum gas and dive planning. You will have to learn a much higher degree of situational awareness and sense of diving as a team, as well as the whole set of ideas about how that is successfully done. This transition can be significantly eased by diving with divers who have done it before you, who know where the bumps in the road are.

The entry-level GUE class for already certified divers, GUE Fundamentals, is a very hard class to pass if you come to it with no training but the typical open water/AOW/Rescue sequence. Most people want to pass the first time through, although it wouldn't be as critical in Southern California, as you have a number of local instructors. But to pass the first time through requires learning a lot and practicing it before you even take the class (something I actually rather deplore) and requires mentoring.

Most of us hooked up with GUE-trained divers, or as now happens in Seattle, connected with a GUE community that runs open dives. Bob Sherwood has given you the names of the folks to contact in your area -- they are all active divers and teachers.

Thanks everyone for the input, we have been diving a fairly close to GUE configuration (single tank except for our cavern)for a little while before and ever since we did our cavern course. We actually went to a GUE demo this past weekend and met some folks but not knowing people I kind of like to ask "disinterested parties" so someone is not trying to sell me something "which has happened with a buoyancy class. I have received the same names over and over so there seems to be some good trust in the people we are going to reach out to and actually have some things in the works. Thanks again

The transition from the typical OW diver to a GUE diver is a big one. Unless you were lucky enough to be started in, or buy GUE-compatible gear, you will be changing equipment. You will almost certainly be encountering new concepts, ranging from equipment balancing to minimum gas and dive planning. You will have to learn a much higher degree of situational awareness and sense of diving as a team, as well as the whole set of ideas about how that is successfully done. This transition can be significantly eased by diving with divers who have done it before you, who know where the bumps in the road are.

The entry-level GUE class for already certified divers, GUE Fundamentals, is a very hard class to pass if you come to it with no training but the typical open water/AOW/Rescue sequence. Most people want to pass the first time through, although it wouldn't be as critical in Southern California, as you have a number of local instructors. But to pass the first time through requires learning a lot and practicing it before you even take the class (something I actually rather deplore) and requires mentoring.

Most of us hooked up with GUE-trained divers, or as now happens in Seattle, connected with a GUE community that runs open dives. Bob Sherwood has given you the names of the folks to contact in your area -- they are all active divers and teachers.

If you have had a cavern class, you're ahead of the game. Fundies is really about very simple things done precisely. With the exception of bag shooting, there is no skill you learn in Fundies that you didn't learn in OW. You're just expected to do them all while hovering, remaining at the same depth, and maintaining correct trim. AND while maintaining awareness of your environment and your team. If you have a solid diving platform of buoyancy control and trim, you start from a very good place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom