Mentoring a new diver the minimalist way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why the beavertails vs full suits? Does more water leak into the beaver tail suits?

Because beaver tail suits have attached hoods which makes a neck seal leak nonexistent, they are doubled up on the torso and the beaver tail design gives the best leg hip movement of a two piece style suit. Some peopoe use a one piece attached hood with a front cross zip but those suits tend to be spongy and compress quite a bit at depth.

And because they look totally cool.
The M&B suits we get are made from original patterns from the early 1960's
So essentially we are wearing the exact same suits people used back then.

Brian- You may be right, I just might have to get me that M&B suit in the future:D

ZKY-Im curious to know why split fins aren't good for backpack diving? Not enough propulsion or something? I use a pair of blades when I freedive for ab's. Are these efficient for pack diving?

:lotsalove: Rob :dork2:

I would love to come out to puget sound again and dive the islands. I went to friday harbor last spring. and we did some boat diving out at some of the islands. sure would be nice to know somebody up that way to take me to the good spots. my son lives in seattle. Ill put a wing on if you like.
I would be happy to show you some of my favorite dive sites. There's some great ones in the San Juans ... and some good charters available to take you there. However you're comfortable diving is OK with me, as long as we can dive together compatibly (I tend to like to go slower than y'all ... since I'm usually packing a camera).

Please don't mind my grumpiness ... what I preceive as "divisiveness" just happens to be a pet peeve of mine. A lot of the DIR guys hate me for expressing the same sentiments to them that I expressed here ... nothing personal at all.

Actually, I admire what y'all are doing ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would be happy to show you some of my favorite dive sites. There's some great ones in the San Juans ... and some good charters available to take you there. However you're comfortable diving is OK with me, as long as we can dive together compatibly (I tend to like to go slower than y'all ... since I'm usually packing a camera).

Please don't mind my grumpiness ... what I preceive as "divisiveness" just happens to be a pet peeve of mine. A lot of the DIR guys hate me for expressing the same sentiments to them that I expressed here ... nothing personal at all.

Actually, I admire what y'all are doing ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
yah. it gets hot around these subjects. and we understand where your coming from to. I solo dive usually. unless we make plans a head of time. and Im ok with that to. gives me a chance to practice my buddy skills. Ill definitely look you up. can I put you on my contacts?

cheers.

Brian- You may be right, I just might have to get me that M&B suit in the future:D

ZKY-Im curious to know why split fins aren't good for backpack diving? Not enough propulsion or something? I use a pair of blades when I freedive for ab's. Are these efficient for pack diving? a closed heal does present some chalenges with a tank. and you need to watch the junp off a dive boat. but the speed and power is like no other. especially after ditching the drag ( wing).

a closed heal does present some challenges with a tank. and you need to watch the jump off a dive boat. but the speed and power is like no other. especially after ditching the drag ( wing). I have open heal long blades

Last edited:
yah. it gets hot around these subjects. and we understand where your coming from to. I solo dive usually. unless we make plans a head of time. and Im ok with that to. gives me a chance to practice my buddy skills. Ill definitely look you up. can I put you on my contacts?

cheers.

That would be cool. Definitely drop me a line when you're heading up this way. I like learning about all different kinds of diving ... and will probably want to pick your brains about some of the stuff y'all do.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ZKY-Im curious to know why split fins aren't good for backpack diving? Not enough propulsion or something? I use a pair of blades when I freedive for ab's. Are these efficient for pack diving?

Yeah, that's right, not enough power. When you get rid of all the drag then use a set of positive power fins like jet's, turtles, or freediving fins, all of a sudden finning gets easier and you go like a rocket. Back pack diving is only one step away from freediving as far as drag. With splits you top out speed wise way before your reach your full speed potential with the minimal profile.

LOL!!:rofl3:
if anybody is interested I have a like new dui 450 size xxl for sale. with some extras.

make offer and pm me.

sorry zky. I don't mean to hijack thread.

xxl

:rofl3:

but back to the question. Is there something wrong with drysuits and backpacking

Back
Top Bottom