Mentoring a new diver the minimalist way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will learn nothing, nothing at all, about teaching, training, or mentoring on the NORCAL coast whilst diving in the warm, calm, gin clear waters of Cozumel.

??

You also can't learn anything about CA by diving in 34 degree water with ice and snow chunks.

All diving is local.

Terry

xxl

:rofl3:

but back to the question. Is there something wrong with drysuits and backpacking

Not with tight fitting neoprene drysuits there's not. Some might say it's bit of a bonus, the best of both worlds. You get a streamlined profile and you get to have a little balast for the deeper stuff (I know some people may get a little chapped by that last statement). I used to have such a suit and it worked well.
The bag suits don't work so well. Weighting is a bit of a problem to keep it consistent and with the bagginess and air pockets you lose streamlining. With an air bubble moving around there is no BC to help hold you in a certain attitude. Maybe someone has a different experience but I think they would be more of a nuisance than a benefit.
We switched to M&B wetsuits because they are sweet. No ripped seals,
no leaks, no issues, no missed dives.

??

You also can't learn anything about CA by diving in 34 degree water with ice and snow chunks.

All diving is local.

Terry
You might get used to cold water and Norcal at that point might seem warm. But I don't know if you're going to learn much about big swells, surf, rips, currents, rocks, and kelp.
Then there's whitey.

Thanks ZKY and Gonphishing,

I knew that one wouldn't be as streamlined but I had thought that diving no BC and drysuit would be simular to compressable wetsuit + BC at depth (both having a single bouyancy source). The travelling bubble and flood scenarios would make a difference though I see.

Then there's whitey. - ever run into our not so little friend?
we get reports all the time. their out there. and the vis is generally not soo good. I remember doing a deep dive out at this rock we call seal rock. right before I descended. we said this might not be the best idea. LOL and did it any way. it was a really good dive. spooky dive,

ps and Im no expert in this field of diving back pack. eric is a good sorce of information!

Do you ever get that funny feeling on your dives that you are not alone? I am not talking about your buddy either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom