Mergui Archipelago liveaboard recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30:
although I wish Ali is still on board.

If the Aqua One gets sold, maybe he’ll be back? :wink:

ssra30:
Dual pricing is a problem especially when a farang customer found out what their Thai trip mates paid for exactly the same trip. But I hope the Panunee won't raise all prices to farang price though (at least from my thai customer's perspective).

We suggested he make the Thai price the official price, but he was certain that farang have more money than Thais. YES, sure, in general, but Thai people going on thousand dollar dive boats are not poor! More money than me, that's for sure!

ssra30:
A manager of one very good boat that shall remain nameless told us outright that they prefer foreign customers/tourists rather than local Thai/ex pats as they can charge a lot more money for those customers. Needless to say, I have not used their boats nor buy anything from their diveshop since.

Some owners are indeed very reluctant to discount, especially when they are confident to be full anyway. I can see that. I can also see that a little local discount is not a bad thing, but I would only offer it for repeat guests.

ssra30:
(being single, I don't want to share the Queen size bed with someone else for the en suite bathroom unit either, well, let me take that back, depending on who the room mate is but so far, none from Damnam group anyhow :) )

You mean there's no couples in Damnam? Really?

ssra30:
Diveguide is a bit iffy. In the past the Panunee did try to get us English speaking guide for our non Thai members, usually european DM or such. For some reason, we never had good luck with those DMs and prefer the current Thai DM staffs (although I wish Ali is still on board). In the past I had one European DM that was rather condescending and rude toward the Thai customers. May be we just had been having bad luck with those DMs as I am sure there are both good and bad Thai and non Thai DMs around.

I think it's often hard to find a good foreign freelance DM just for one trip. If you have permanant fixed staff, whether Thai or foreign, they know the boat, know the dive sites, and things run better. I find boats like Colona 6, The Junk, Faah Yai, just to name a few, who have had the same staff for several years, these boats run very well. For us as an agent, the staff on board is just as important as the boat itself. A cheap boat can make a great trip if the staff is great. A luxury boat can be terrible if the staff is rude and unhelpful. We keep an eye on these things!

Where is Ali now? - I have heard good things about him before and I know boats that are looking for staff for next season..

Many boats to choose from out there. Not so many for Burma compared to Similan. What is important? Price? Number of guests? Cabins? Trip length? Trip dates? Languages spoken on board? Any other questions? Ask away!

Sunrise:
Where is Ali now?

If the Aqua One gets sold, maybe he’ll be back?

OK, that's answered that one. I reckon the owner of Aqua One is making a speculative offer. Maybe doesn't really want to sell, but someone offers the right money..why not?

Sunrise:
You mean there's no couples in Damnam? Really?

There are a few couples in Damnam however I am not one of them. While we are a good bunch of friends, there is no one in the club that I would want to share a big bed with :) (sharing a same room with Burger is bad enough!).

Just got a little more info about Aqua One for sale. Basically the Aggressor fleet is expanding to Lembeh and since the Aqua One spend a good part of the year in Indonesia, they feel that they have a need to get a better boat in order to compete with the Aggressor. Hmmmm... Aggressor class boat for Similans/Burma...I think I need to make more money so I can dive in style :D
So... anyone interested in buying Aqua One?
They are in process of constructing a resort in Lembeh as well! Hmmm...I need to retire soon.

We suggested he make the Thai price the official price, but he was certain that farang have more money than Thais. YES, sure, in general, but Thai people going on thousand dollar dive boats are not poor! More money than me, that's for sure!

What would be nice if these people actually recognised farangs that live and work in Thailand, earn local wages and are not filthy rich.

buksida:
What would be nice if these people actually recognised farangs that live and work in Thailand, earn local wages and are not filthy rich.

Many of my local farang/ex pat divebuddies do get Thai or discount price from the Panunee, especially those who are returning customers on the boat.

I think it is very unfortunate in Thailand that dual price for tourist/farang and Thai exist everywhere, admission tickets to lots of tourist places etc. Kind of unfair but most people still perceive Farang as wealthy regardless.

For local Farang, it is best to establish a good relationship with dive operator/boat etc as once you are their regular customers, you will get certain amount of discount/extra service.

ssra30:
admission tickets to lots of tourist places

Some of these a "local" farang can pay the local price. In Phuket for example, I have been to the zoo (for my daughter, honest) and paid the local price - which is a huge difference. Also at the newly reopened Aquarium. Just need to show a Thai driving licence.

Repeat customers - I would say most dive shops would be willing to give some discount for regulars. Easier to do if you are an operator than an agent of course.

Sunrise:
Some of these a "local" farang can pay the local price. In Phuket for example, I have been to the zoo (for my daughter, honest) and paid the local price - which is a huge difference. Also at the newly reopened Aquarium. Just need to show a Thai driving licence.

I guess Phuket is a bit more progressive than the rest of the country. I think Bangkok is pretty much the same but when I went to Chiang Mai, an American friend who teaches in a university there always complained about paying farang price for everything even after he tried to show them his faculty ID card, Thai driver's license etc. Of course many tourists from Hong Kong, Taiwan etc sometimes get by with local admission price as long as they keep their mouth shut and let the Thai guide pays the admission fee :)

Hmm, not sure how I ended up talking about Chiang Mai when we started talking about LOB.

jlyle:
OCEAN ROVER! Wonderful boat and fantastic crew.

http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=1287

I second that - multiple returns to Ocean Rover and looking forward to their trip next month!

NOTE- There are a lot less expensive options that will get you into the sea (Heck, Richilieu Rock is worth it in ANY boat, even a dinghy).

On my first trip to Land Of Smile (LOS) in 1996, I went on the M/V Sai Mai which now is operated by a German company on the cheap. Bottom line - fit the trip to your budget and get in the water as much as possible!

Back
Top Bottom