Mergui Archipelago liveaboard recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buksida:
Taxgeek, thanks for the great report there, Fah Yai is the one we went with after all. Trip is in November .... cant wait!

You'll have a great time. Alain (boat manager) and Sunan (his wife, and cook) are great. The crew is so nice as well - the Faah Yai isn't the fanciest boat I've ever been on (Palau Aggressor was), but it instantly felt like my own home. So comfortable.

Let me know if you have any specific questions as the time gets closer!
Taxgeek

ssra30:
Just got a little more info about Aqua One for sale. Basically the Aggressor fleet is expanding to Lembeh and since the Aqua One spend a good part of the year in Indonesia, they feel that they have a need to get a better boat in order to compete with the Aggressor. Hmmmm... Aggressor class boat for Similans/Burma...I think I need to make more money so I can dive in style :D
So... anyone interested in buying Aqua One?
They are in process of constructing a resort in Lembeh as well! Hmmm...I need to retire soon.

I thought the Aqua One was considered a high end boat. What does an "Aggressor class" boat have that the AO doesn't? I have been on a couple of Aggressor boats, Kona and Tahiti, and, while I enjoyed both trips, especially Tahiti, if I wanted to, I could find some things to nitpick about. Once you have got a great location, ensuite bathrooms, a/c in the salons, good food, and a friendly, knowledgeable staff, what else do you need? Of course, hot towels on every dive are a plus.

eediver:
Of course, hot towels on every dive are a plus.

Very expensive, those hot towels. They add at least a hundred bucks a day to the trip price, and if you get a bathrobe, well, you better be prepared to pay for it!

eediver:
I thought the Aqua One was considered a high end boat. What does an "Aggressor class" boat have that the AO doesn't? I have been on a couple of Aggressor boats, Kona and Tahiti, and, while I enjoyed both trips, especially Tahiti, if I wanted to, I could find some things to nitpick about. Once you have got a great location, ensuite bathrooms, a/c in the salons, good food, and a friendly, knowledgeable staff, what else do you need? Of course, hot towels on every dive are a plus.

In Thailand, Aqua One is certainly one of the top boats around. I have never been on the Agressor (hopefully that will change next year). The owners of AO certainly had been on the Agressors a few times in Cocos, Galapagos etc. For some reasons, they certainly think that they could use a better boat in order to compete (may be it is the size since AO can only carry 12 or 14 passengers, I think). The boat is a tad smaller at 30m. For me, a bit more room to work with uw camera equipment would be nice especially if there are more than 3-4 photographers on board.

In an earlier posting, stevel said that if it were his choice, he'd pick the Panunee over the Mermaid I due to the more relaxed atmosphere ... what sort of atmosphere does Mermaid have? What about it is not "relaxed"? I ask because I am considering Mermaid's Mergui itinerary due to one of its trips matching nicely with my schedule.

-Simon

I found Panunee to be rather over rated when I went to see the boat a few months ago. I could not believe the price when I saw the boat and cabins. Mermaid 1 has en suite bathrooms, Panunee has only 2 cabins with bathrooms and the cabins are not big. On the same day I saw Panunee I went to the shipyard where Mermaid 1 was out of the water and covered in grease and paint - and it still looked better than Panunee. Just my 5 cents worth. We decided very quickly not to offer Panunee to our customers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom