Mermet Springs Illinois anyone been going next weekend ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You’ll be less buoyant then in salt, so plan accordingly. Other than that, enjoy the day and your new gear....I think we’ll overlap in Coz by one day :happywave:

Thanks we will be there Sept. 15th through 22nd. At Scuba Club Cozumel. How about you?

Thanks we will be there Sept. 15th through 22nd. At Scuba Club Cozumel. How about you?
22-30th Occidental....oh well, I would have treated you guys to a tequila fiesta :drunks:

Lots of interesting things to look at. The music tends to throw me a bit but, overall, the place is a gas.

I find that area of Southern Illinois intriguing...\
It was 40 years ago, or more I visited that area -- I always will remember it
Very lovely area -- very bucolic - extremely friendly people

That area is known as "Little Egypt" because so many of the towns have Egyptian names - Beginning with the largest Cairo, then lessor known Belknap, Thebes, Karnak etc

There is also the "Superman City-- "Metropolis" - with Superman as a tourist attraction

And now there is Mermet Springs. Not one member of this board is from that area -- Yet Midwestern divers apparently swarm to Mermet for a their diving fix

Interesting !

SDM

Mermet is where most of the folks in the St Louis area get certified - including my husband and I. Be prepared for the thermocline. The temperature drops off a LOT in a couple/few places. There are a lot of cool things to see down there. Have you checked out their website? (mermetsprings.com) They have a bus, a train car, the airplane from The Fugitives, an 'office' with a desk and telephone, a 'petting zoo' of concrete animals - but my favorite are the spoonbills. They look prehistoric - SO cool! The earlier you get there, the better the visibility will be. Once the students get in it can get silty. We prefer warm, blue, clear water - so we haven't spent a lot of time at Mermet. But the folks are wonderful there and there's a lot of cool stuff to see. Oh, and they have good changing rooms/bathroom/shower facilities AND a snack bar/truck.

Make sure you take a trip into Metropolis for a picture with the huge Superman statue. Great photo op. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom