Michael Norwood of Deep Sea Detectives Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cohost of the History Channel's Deep Sea Detectives show. Details are not known yet, but I think all of us that followed the show will miss him dearly.

and looked at their Deep Sea forum. There seems to be conflicting information Robert Norwood vs. Michael (could be a formal name). I guess there was an "In Memory of.." on one of the last episodes. I wasn't a frequent watcher, but I was trying to figure out which one he was......

...but I saw an email that specified it was the same Mr. Norwood that co-hosted DSD. AFAIK, John Chatterton (the other host) was not injured, but details are not available at this time.

Will pass along anything that I hear..

I've heard conflicting rumors about the Michael vs. Robert thing as well.

I'll check the DSD episode when I get home late tonight, as I still have it on Tivo.

KOROR, Palau -- A host of a History Channel series featuring sunken ships drowned during a 250-foot dive to the USS Perry, a World War II wreck.

Michael Norwood, 36, an experienced British scuba diver and instructor for deep dives, had visited the wreck twice, but experienced yet unexplained difficulties Saturday, said Christopher Cassel, the producer of "Deep Sea Detectives."

Norwood reportedly died as two fellow divers tried to bring him to the surface.

"This is a tremendous loss for everyone involved," Cassel said. "He was a very experienced and very enthusiastic participant in the series. He also was very kind and charismatic, and he will be deeply missed by his family and friends."

The Perry survived the bombing of Pearl Harbor, but was sunk Sept. 13, 1944, when it struck an underwater mine. The Perry was attempting to clear the mines for the invasion of the Japanese-held islands two days later.

Located from 240 to 260 feet off the island of Angaur and often subject to strong currents, the Perry is accessible only to expert divers using specialized equipment. Recreational divers rarely break the 100-foot mark and are advised never to pass 130 feet.

During the first two days of diving, the crew reached the wreck but was unable to film because of strong currents, Cassel said. On the third day, the currents subsided enough to film, but when Norwood reached 250 feet, he signaled to two fellow divers he had run out of air, Cassel said.

"He reported he was out of air, but he had reserve tanks," Cassel said. "We are not sure why he did not switch to his reserve tanks."

A statement released from the Palau Ministry of Justice said it is unknown whether the death

occurred because of "diver error or health problems." An autopsy has not yet been performed.

After Norwood signaled he was out of air, Cassel said, the other two divers attempted to bring him to the surface while sharing their air with him. But Norwood lost consciousness during the long, slow ascent, and drowned. Norwood is expected to be flown to London for his burial.

The History Channel crew cut short its filming and no decision has been made on whether the Perry episode will be completed at a later date. In all, 12 episodes of "Deep Sea Detectives" have been filmed, some of which already have aired. Norwood participated in nine episodes

A History Channel series host, who was filming in Palau, reportedly drowned Saturday.

KOROR, Palau -- A host of a History Channel series featuring sunken ships drowned during a 250-foot dive to the USS Perry, a World War II wreck.

Michael Norwood, 36, an experienced British scuba diver and instructor for deep dives, had visited the wreck twice, but experienced yet unexplained difficulties Saturday, said Christopher Cassel, the producer of "Deep Sea Detectives."

The complete story is at www.guampdn.com/news/stories/20031211/localnews/11381.html

My condolences go out to Mr. Norwood's family and friends. If it can happen to him, it can happen to any of us. Be careful out there.

Michael was a close friend, and he will be dearly missed. He left behind a wife in Maine and his black lab, Nelson. Nobody really seems to know what happened, and there have been many conflicting stories. An official investigation is being performed in England, where he is from, and we will update you with further information when we find out. At this time, we are all extremely anxious to find out what happened. Our only consulation is that Michael died doing what he loved.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom