Michael Norwood of Deep Sea Detectives Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

denisobrien once bubbled...
Michael was a close friend, and he will be dearly missed. He left behind a wife in Maine and his black lab, Nelson. Nobody really seems to know what happened, and there have been many conflicting stories. An official investigation is being performed in England, where he is from, and we will update you with further information when we find out. At this time, we are all extremely anxious to find out what happened. Our only consulation is that Michael died doing what he loved.

You all have our sympothies. Thanks for posting.

As an avid fan of Deep Sea Detectives, I am also saddened to hear of the death of Michael Norwood. It is safe to say that the hosts of DSD are some of the most reputable and experienced divers in the world and hearing of his fatality definitely forces us all to reflect on our own mortality and respect for the sea. If his death can force even one diver to look back and reevaluate his own diving skills, abilities, gear configuration, etc. so that they may one day avoid the same unfortunate consequence then Michael's contribution to the sport will far exceed the legacy he has certainly left behind.

Hello all
To all of you who knew Michael well I offer my condolences. I only had the pleasure of diveing wiht him for the 4 days prior to his death. In those four days it became apparent to me how great of a guy he was. He really did love his job and seemed to be genuinely happy with life. I think the world is a little worse off for loosing him.
Jim

A link to a quick overview of the Michael Norwood tragedy in Palau is below. I am the Executive Producer of 16 episodes in the series and was there. The article with the least factual errors can be found at http://www.guampdn.com/news/stories/20031211/localnews/11381.html if you want more details.

Thanks for everyone's concern. We will all miss Michael greatly.

Vincent Kralyevich
Executive Producer, Deep Sea Detectives

The article that you linked said that he "ran out of air". Was he indeed diving air? I would have thought that Tri-mix or perhaps a rebreather would make more sense.

- Joel

svendsen once bubbled...
The article that you linked said that he "ran out of air". Was he indeed diving air? I would have thought that Tri-mix or perhaps a rebreather would make more sense.

- Joel

I doubt they were diving air and I doubt he was out of whatever he was out of.

jaydee197:
I did not know michael but my sympathies go out to the family and friends.

I have also watched several of these episodes, and will miss Michael and his presence on the show.

SeaRat

The details are interesting to say the least. I have heard the actual events offline. Soon maybe the real story will be made public but until then condolenses to his family and friends.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom