Michigan Woman dies diving off Key Largo.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mselenaous

Island girl
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Key Largo, FL... Dive Capital of the World
# of dives
I just don't log dives
http://www.keysnet.com/2013/02/12/485045/michigan-woman-dies-diving-off.html

A Michigan woman died while diving offshore of Key Largo Tuesday, the Monroe County Sheriff's Office says.Donna Hartson, 64, of Sterling Heights was aboard the commercial dive vessel Silent World 4 with her husband Leroy and six other divers, Deputy Becky Herrin said. They were diving on the Benwood, a wreck off Key Largo, between 2 and 3 p.m.According to the vessel’s captain, the divers were in the water for about 40 minutes. They were getting ready to leave the area and go to another location and, when Hartson surfaced, he saw her signaling for help. When the vessel reached her, she didn't respond. They pulled her onto the boat, began CPR and called the U.S. Coast Guard to notify them of the trouble.When they reached the Port Largo subdivision, they were met by deputies and paramedics. Hartson was transported to Mariners Hospital in Tavernier, where she was pronounced dead. An autopsy will be done to determine the cause of death.

Sadly this is the second death that I know of on the Benwood in the past few months. This is a shallow easy dive where many DSDs and Open Water students dive for the first time.

Happy Diving!
Elena

Nothing is so easy in diving that it can't kill you.... It's the easy ones that get people killed .... :wink:

Jim.....

Sad to hear but again for most of the accidents I read here people is 60> I thing more health issues are present than the diving itself

Prayers and condolences for her family and friends.

So sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends.

Prayers go out to the family. This seems so odd for a somewhat easy dive.

I'd assume this was a health related death, heart attack, stroke, etc... lots of people die from them everyday on dry land mowing the lawn, raking leaves, shoveling snow, she just happened to be diving at the time.

Prayers to the family

so sad to hear.........condolences to her friends and family...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom