Microchipping pets in Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnTalbot

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Maybe going to some Carribean Islands this summer, they say my critters(cats and dogs) have to be Microchipped ot tattoed. Anyone know if this can be done in Roatan, La Ceiba, SPS, etc...???

US & Mexican veterinarians can microchip your dog/cat. Sorry, I don't know about Honduran vets...

JohnTalbot:
Maybe going to some Carribean Islands this summer, they say my critters(cats and dogs) have to be Microchipped ot tattoed. Anyone know if this can be done in Roatan, La Ceiba, SPS, etc...???

My vet doesn't do it. I live in Honduras. He doesn't even have a chip reader. I doubt any other vets have chip readers either. The tattoo is more readily visible but how will a Honduran know what the tattoo means? or who to contact if the animal is lost?

DiversMom:
I doubt any other vets have chip readers either.

:14: Imagine that! I know they have a few in Cayman, Bahamas (Freeport,GBI,Bimini), Puerto Rico, Barbados, St Martin, Trinidad, and that may be about it.

Mom, I was waiting for you to weigh in on this before I asked... Wondering who is the "they" when John Talbott originally posted the words "they say" ?

Hey guys, thanks for the info, the "they" im referring to are the good folks at BVI Immigration, they want the animals to be microchipped or tatooed on arrival(same as Caymans). Instead ive decided to go to USVI, they have same entry rules as mainland US as far as i can tell on the web. So that way i wont have to worry about getting it done here.

Make sure you find out what type of readers they will be using there. I was just reading an article about this the other day on MSN and they were saying how in Europe, something like 90% of pets are chipped, while only 4% of American pets are chipped. The article cited something about how Europe has decided on one chipping format which is readable by all scanners. Apparently, here in the US, there are several companies offering chips, all using different readers. So it's not as effective here since the vet must have the same reader as the chip.

great tip, ill ask my vet freind in the us whos coming down here what frequency the chips are on, the BVI site lists the frequency they want for the chips.

We have had sporadic internet the past two weeks or so....it's the rainy season here on the mainland and the internet craps out almost every night. During the day, I was in school - finals week, recuperation examinations, report cards to do, all that good stuff. It ended last night when the high school seniors - all 6 of them - graduated and had a "party all night" fiesta. I leave for Alabama on Wednesday for Space Camp teachers workshop so not much websurfing time next week either.

Back
Top Bottom