Micronesia in 10 days... where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi. We did 3 weeks last year in Truk, Yap and Palau. We put a trip report in the Travel Club section of the BSAC website which you may find of some value. I also put a load of pics on Webshots It was hard work, but worthwhile, doing all 3 in 3 weeks given from the UK there were 10 flights involved. If I had to distill it down I would probably forgo Yap. The Manta Ray Bay Resort was marvellous and the diving was fine but that said the diving in the other 2 islands was more varied and memorable. Hope this is of some assistance.
Dave.

hey guys
thanks so much to you all for the great tips!!
christine and i are so excited about this trip!! we may even extend it by 4 days!
if you've got any other thoughts don't hsitate to let us know
also if anyone is living in palau, yap, truk or guam, pls don't hesitate to get in touch! we'd love to catch up with people who know the places well!
thanks
nikki
x:eek:)

I never get tired of the wreaks at Truk. Palau has fantastic walls and currents but gets a bit repetitive after a week. Yap has some nice manta sites (but so does Palau). Haven't dived Guam or Pohnpei but others rate them similar to Yap.

I would either do 10 days Truk (lots of mind-blowing wreaks, and some walls on the outer reef if you ask for them) or do Truk for 5-6 days and 2-3 days to do the key sites at Palau (Blue Corner, Blue Holes, Peleiu Express, Devil Ray City, etc).

palau REPETITIVE after one week??! :confused: hehehe

Now that just goes to show how diving is a relative thing. I could dive Palau endlessly and not get bored! :D IMHO, going all the way to Palau and only diving 2-3 days would be a criminal waste! :)

(btw - this post is not intended to be a flame in any way.)

I live on the Island of Saipan on the beach. I have plenty of gear, tanks, and a compressor. If you want to give Saipan a try. We have 30 meter plus vis with water temps of 28 to 30 C. Lots of shore dives with ropes put in the cuts in the many reefs makes diving much cheaper. Also the dive boat charters have trips to outer reefs and Tinian.

Dale Still on a little rock in the Pacific

christine and i are more confused than ever now!! everyone has such differing opinions!! but i'm sure that whatever itinerary we choose and wherever we go we are going to have a fabulous time and do some great diving!! can't wait - thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom