Microsoft new "LongHorn" OS, What OS do you run on your PC ???

What OS do you run on your computer now ?

• Microsoft ( Windows 9x, Me, Xp, 2000 ..etc.)

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • IBM OS/2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LINUX (any flavor , Redhat, BSD, Corel ....etc.)

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • UNIX

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Apple MAC

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Dual boot Linux & Microsoft

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure where I fit in the poll. I have a laptop and desktop running Win98, a desktop running 98SE and a desktop running Redhat Linux.
I've avoided ME & XP as I've seen no compelling reason to switch (upgrade???). I see where MS will shortly cease support of 98 and the next release of Office will not run on NT, 98 or ME, need 2000 or XP.

Maybe, if they can convince me they've finally plugged the majority of the bugs, security holes, etc., I might upgrade. But I'm tired of sending my hard earned $$ to a company like Microsoft for buggy product, for which they assume no responsibilty. It's a good job dive computers DON'T run on any flavour of Windows. :mean:

And if you think your LDS is gouging on dive gear, it's nothing compared to the gouge for Software.

ckharlan66 once bubbled...
It is up to what the manufactures do. If all the new systems are coming out with it then all the software will start to be written for it. and on and on and on....

Chad

At a certain point, they won't have much choice. Just as with previous releases of Windows. As of this date, you can only buy these versions. They released ME and 98 was no longer available. Same as walking into a car dealership now and asking to buy a new 2000 model Mustang, because you like the styling. Unless you find some old stock someplace, it isn't available. ;-0

Kent

trymixdiver once bubbled...
anyone know if you didnt upgrade to WK2 MCSE from your NT4 MCSE if you loose your MCSE status? This was the impression i got from a few people. Any truth to it ?

The cert doesnt mean much in the work place. They care if you know what your doing, not if you have some cert card.

Not to mention the cost of those dang exams, not cheap!

Andy

Microsoft originally was going to "decommission" (or whatever they called it) the NT4 cert last year, but relented so few people were getting the WIN2K cert.
IMHO, I agree that the cert dosn't mean much, but it can get your foot in the door.

By the way, sorry for getting so far off the topic of this thread, but I just had to vent.:boom:

Linux keeps making headway with user friendliness for the regular Joe's desktop, Micro$haft should start taking notice & just develop an OS that doesn't make previous versions obsolete, fix their bugs & end their heavy handed (& often illegal) business tactics.
Anybody check out Lindows?
http://lindows.com

MgicT

Actually i dissagree that the cert gets your foot in the door. The cert means nothing unless you have experience to back it up with. If your just breaking into the IT field ( like myself) the cert shows you have a basic knowedge of the system, but thats it. You are far less valuable than someone who has experience. There are too many skilled IT people out there that get the job ( and rightly so ) over a person with minimal exp and a cert.

I was busting my butt to ge my MCSE and my step brother with no cert got a job with a local ISP. The jobs are out there, but you need exp and / or a friend who can get you in.

I noted my step brothers situation. Here is another. My friend Dean got a job at MS thru a friend of his wifes. He inturn was able to get his wife a job there also. They are now both working for MS and are doing very well. if you know people in the IT industy then thats your foot in the door. I didnt want to move up there, but i was offered an opportunity from Dean who could get me the interview.

Andy

experience gets you the job, not a cert. I think the company your with would rather pay a non MS cert person than a MS cert person. The cert individual will want more money.

trymixdiver once bubbled...
MgicT

Actually i dissagree that the cert gets your foot in the door. The cert means nothing unless you have experience to back it up with. If your just breaking into the IT field ( like myself) the cert shows you have a basic knowedge of the system, but thats it. You are far less valuable than someone who has experience. There are too many skilled IT people out there that get the job ( and rightly so ) over a person with minimal exp and a cert.

experience gets you the job, not a cert. I think the company your with would rather pay a non MS cert person than a MS cert person. The cert individual will want more money.

IMHO, there are too many IT people, skilled and unskilled, period.
In my experience, many companies won't even consider you without a cert, no matter how much experience you may have. And, OF COURSE I want more money because I have those certs, why else would I have busted my butt to get them?

Are all in bed with MS. We use 100% MS products for everything except photo editing and webdesign.

We've standardized on Win 2000 Enterprise Server and XP Pro workstations. We've started a ground up effort on our software product line using .Net technology and will most definitely switch to .Net server when it becomes available.

I've read quite about about MS research and the road map for OSs over the next few years. The companies I've worked for have always participated alpha and beta testing ... and I can say I'm looking forward to MS finally doing what Oracle always said should be done - make the file system 100% relational db. I can't wait till the first line of specialized utilities comes out to take advantage of the power that will afford all of us users.

At home here I have Win XP Pro/HP Pavilion 790 512mb RAM 120 GB HDD 21 inch display. I love my machine :)

I own and run an ISP up here in Seattle, and use Win2K AS on my servers running webs, Win2k pro on my laptop and workstation, and on my mail and security machine, IPAD's. works fine, and i will not upgrade to XP anything, even though i could with some very good conections I have....FWIW here is my site...www.pstbbs.com

At work, our entire network is Win2k with a few XP desktops. I manage the servers and the network. I'm trying to push my boss to go to a Linux or BSD setup for the servers, but.. we're locking down everything OK right now.

At home, I have WinXP on my desktop.. the one I use for watching TV, browsing the web, messaging, music, video, etc.

I have a laptop with Win2k and Debian 3. Debian works quite well on the laptop, and I find myself using that more than Windows.

I also run a web/ftp/ssh/smb server. This is a box that sits in my closet, runs OpenBSD 3.1, and serves up jonnythan.com. OpenBSD is absolutely wonderful

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom