Mid-Coast Maine - more info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went shark fishing with Anne & Dave Sinclair a few years ago with my family (we only caught a few poagies as bait -- but we did see a few sharks) by Monhegan Island. The weather cooperated and we had a nice cruise. They were great and were A-1 in their operation. I have got in contact with them and will look at their schedule as I get closer to my trip. I'll probably post a request for dive budies, but in the meantime I have quite a bit of research to do regarding the websites provided.

Thank you

Our family is planning the annual vacation & the latest thought is Maine. If we end up heading that way Vince & I will probably want to get wet :) I'll re-post with dates if that's the final decision.

Planning a family vacation with 22 people (Pop, kids (my Mom's generation), grandkids (my generation) & great-grandkids) who like way too many interests is not easy!

Fly N Dive:
Not Cool :11:

Like he said, it's Maine, just plain Maine. :)

Pete

Depending on where you want to dive, if you're going on a boat one bit of advice is to be very clear about date, time, and strength of commitment to take you out.

I had a bad experience last year, started contacting a charter 6 months in advance, stayed in contact, lugged all my gear out to Monhegan, then, the day before the dive I got a call saying "change in plan, we decided to go fishing tomorrow, we do have a group at the dock now, be down in 15 minutes" which I couldn't do. So the gear sat all week at the cottage, pissing me off every time I looked at it and guaranteeing I will never try that again.

Thanks Henryville. I make planning my life professionally and it seems that even the best laid plans can go awry when they iinvolve relying on others. Because boat trips have many factors including weather and interests of the whole boat, last minute changes are reasonable (but unfortunate for your dive plans) to expect. I just got back from Southern California where I went for a conference and lugged my gear down for some diving over the remaining weekend. There wasn't enough time for evening shore dives after my classes (LA traffic was worse than Rt 128 in Boston). My diving on Catalina island had to be cancelled, because I ended up not having a buddy and did not want to spend an additional $80 to hire a guide as well as pay the ferry and the dive shop. I did end up going on a wonderful overnight to San Clemente island with a great group of local divers (South Orange County Dive Club). The focus of this last trip was my conference, byut I managed to squeeze in diving. I thought long and hard about whether it was worth it to lug all my dive gear for a weekend of diving. To me it was.

My trip to Maine will be to stay with my parents at their summer house on the beach. I've outgrown lying in the sand and broiling my skin so diving is my number one focus whether it be on a boat or from shore. I'm happy doing it. I'll be looking for local dive buddies as the time nears. I'll be renting Nitrox from the Rockland shop. I'd be glad to dive with different dive groups. I'll post a message as we get closer.

Henryville:
Depending on where you want to dive, if you're going on a boat one bit of advice is to be very clear about date, time, and strength of commitment to take you out.

I had a bad experience last year, started contacting a charter 6 months in advance, stayed in contact, lugged all my gear out to Monhegan, then, the day before the dive I got a call saying "change in plan, we decided to go fishing tomorrow, we do have a group at the dock now, be down in 15 minutes" which I couldn't do. So the gear sat all week at the cottage, pissing me off every time I looked at it and guaranteeing I will never try that again.

Why not a shore dive (s)? Plenty to seen snorkeling from shore in Southern Maine. A shore dove from Mongegan with SCUBA, I'd be in heaven.

Pete

spectrum:
Why not a shore dive (s)? Plenty to seen snorkeling from shore in Southern Maine. A shore dove from Mongegan with SCUBA, I'd be in heaven.

Pete

I would have tried it, but I couldn't get any tanks and didn't have any weights. I ended up skin diving in the little harbor, 20 minutes in that water was...very invigorating. The folks at the beach though I was nuts.

The ocean side is supposed to be the best diving, but with the currents there I would not try it without a boat. I hope I get to do it some day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom