Mid-February weather/air temps at Socorro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Grettings -

Title says it all ... I've been to Socorro early December and experienced really mild air temps. Not expecting that in mid-February. Anyone been there at that time, or have a link to weather averages? Plenty of water temp data, and I'm fine with that, but topside?

Thanks in advance!

I've done two February Socorro trips - in 2007 and 2016. I don't have specific air temperature numbers but I can't recall anything out of the ordinary about the weather or air temperatures. Topside, I wore T-shirt, shorts, and after the 3rd or 4th dive, I added a hoodie - the same as I have worn on November or December Socorro trips. Bottom line: at least with me, if I felt colder during those February trips, it wasn't as much due to ambient temperature or weather conditions as much the body being chilled from having been in mid-70's waters for 3 or 4 dives. I also distinctly remember being the coldest when donning a wet wetsuit or taking it off while facing the wind. I eventually learned to seek out a spot that was sheltered from the wind.

FWIW, two other things I recall from that trip. I did 3 days of Cabo Pulmo prior to going on the Socorro liveaboard. This being February 2016 and not November 2014 when I had last gone out with him, I recall being advised by the Cabo Pulmo dive operator Mar y Sierra to bring a jacket for the surface interval when we motored from one dive site to the next. Same line of reasoning as above, not so much because it was cold out as much as being wet from having been in mid-70's waters and being hit by the breeze. It actually felt warmer to take the upper half of the wetsuit off, and just freeze momentarily until the upper body was dried by sun and air.

And on the subject of cold, altho off-topic, the only pair of pants I took with me on that trip was one of those convertible pants where the bottom half of each pantleg zips off and on. I lost the lower halves somewhere during the trip and I got back to Boston late at night in basically shorts with the outside temperature at -2. Just the air blowing out of the opening where the luggage comes out on the baggage claim conveyor was agonizing enough. The prospects of going outside in shorts looked mighty grim. And that's when "necessity is the other of invention", as they say, kicked in: I put on my 5mm and my coat on, went outside and rode the subway home nice and toasty.

FWIW, two other things I recall from that trip ...
Ha! What divers go through to get to their destination. I can relate!

When I read your 'T shirt and shorts' reply I did scrach my head a bit ... I believe I'm going to err a bit more on the conservative side. Also read a post somewhere about wanting to stay warm out on deck during a chilly transit if there were whales to be seen ... good point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom