mid-Jan: Cuba, Bahamas, or somewhere else nearby?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I will be in Miami mid-January and am wondering what you all know about dive destinations from there. I am considering Bahamas, Cuba and/or Jamaica as a start. If there is anywhere else nearby that you guys suggest I'll be keen on that as well, currently I don't know much about diving down there. Please help!
my ambitions are:

1. good value for the cost of diving, travel and lodging.
2. great diversity of marine life and favorable conditions for mid-late January.
3. land based adventure and culture (I DON'T wanna be in a retirement home of a resort feeling like I haven't left America, with strip malls down every street).
4. about 7-10 days max, but I travel quickly and efficiently.

Your advice is greatly appreciated!!!

~Calvin

Welcome to Scubaboard! Our family is a big fan of the Turks & Caicos. It meets all of your criteria, however, it is not as inexpensive as say the Bahamas or Cuba. The diving is far better than the Bahamas. Lots of wall diving, little current, great vis, lots of big pelagics including large eagle rays and sharks. We have also seen or heard whales although you may be a little early in January. They generally migrate in February and March. In passing I would note that the diving in Jamaica is way below average. We go every year to the TCI and have never regretted it.

Turks and Caicos are great. I've never done Provo, always do Grand Turk. Not cheap, and tougher to get to, but well worth the time and effort. Very laid back, great and very easy diving, and there's beach all along one side of the island. Be warned, though, there's not really anything else to do but dive. But hey, what's wrong with that???
You can fly straight from MIA to PLS (Provo) and then get a little tiny plane to GDT. Just a thought. If you want more info feel free to email me.

Beck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom