mid range oly advice/prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dna77054

Registered
Reaction score
Am considering olympus for my first ever digital camera for both UW and land use. Have found the following models and prices

$250 C5000-zoom

$355 C5050 zoom

$455 C5060

$350 C5060 REFURBISHED (checking on warranty)

I would like to keep the camera and housing under about $650. Is the jump in quality/features from 5000 to 5050 to 5060 worth the increase in price, especially for someone who will never use half of the features available. Please discuss. Also are these good prices, or should I keep on looking.

I have never used a 5000, so can't help.

Here is a comparison of the two side by side that may help you find the features that are right for you.

I have the 5050 and love it. One thing you might want to consider when making your purchase is the amount of support available. There is a ton of support right here for the 5050 - not so much for the 5000.

Many things will be similar no matter which camera you use, but it is quite nice to have a specific question answered by others who are using the same system.

I think as long as the camera & housing have the following it should be on the list:
1) wetmate lenses
2) RAW capabilities
3) complete Manual control in the housing as well as the usual program features (which I don't think are a terribly good way to learn...)
4) ability to add a strobe
5) great macro capabilities - then it doesn't matter what the water conditions are like! The 5050 has supermacro which is great.

dna77054:
Am considering olympus for my first ever digital camera for both UW and land use. Have found the following models and prices

$250 C5000-zoom

$355 C5050 zoom

$455 C5060

$350 C5060 REFURBISHED (checking on warranty)

I would like to keep the camera and housing under about $650. Is the jump in quality/features from 5000 to 5050 to 5060 worth the increase in price, especially for someone who will never use half of the features available. Please discuss. Also are these good prices, or should I keep on looking.

I've been shopping for a 5050, the price you found at $355 is fantastic. Where did you find that price?

kevreid:
I've been shopping for a 5050, the price you found at $355 is fantastic. Where did you find that price?

at a website: digitalliquidators.com

I just ran across it. I currently have no knowledge of their reputation as a company, grey market??, etc..

But they have a great selection of cameras, and other electronics at good prices. You might want to check the BBB, just to be sure they are completely on the level. I am not suggesting that the are not. I do not know either way, and would check myself before ordering from any company that I am not familiar with.

PS I just checked that site again, and although the 5050 is listed and priced, when clicking on it, I get a message that it has been discontinued and they show the 5060 as the replacement. Not sure if you can order the 5050 or not

just be aware that the 5050 and 5060 are different cameras with different housings...there are a lot who don't feel the 5060 is as well suited for uw photo as the 5050, though you probably won't hear the happy 5060 users complaining too much :)

Kevreid....those reviews on digitalliquidators are interesting reading. Don't think they'll be quoting many of them on their website, ha ha. Like this one, for example:

"I wouldn't deal with this place again if there was no other way to buy consumer electronics. I'd live in a cave first."

Thanks for the info, and for the investigation of digitalliquidators. I shall look for another vendor.

I've used

B&H Photo & Video
Smile Photo & Video
www.buydig.com

all without problems or hard sells. The gear was shipped in a timely manner and my orders were correct. I would use all three, depending on my needs, again.

dna77054:

(delete) Is the jump in quality/features from 5000 to 5050 to 5060 worth the increase in price, especially for someone who will never use half of the features available. Please discuss. Also are these good prices, or should I keep on looking.

If you go to my web site I have a link on the left hand side for resources for photographers. I have collected a series of links to various sites discussing the 5050 and the 5060 including an u/w comparison on the two. I have a 5050 and recommend it. But I am sure many 5060 users would say the same. I hope some of the links on my site can help you with your search.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom