Mid September in Key Largo- Rental Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I'm going diving with Quiescence in mid September and am not sure whether to rent a suit- 3mm shorty, 3mm full.

I have previously been diving in Cairns, Australia in February a few years back and was comfortable up to 60 feet in a stinger suit.

I have also dove a quary but I do not have the depths on me at this time but it was in August of 2017 in Illinois and I was freezing. I do not have the thickness of my suit at that time.

I would prefer to be warmer than colder and I do believe that I run colder than most people. With that in mind, what would be your recommendation between these suit rental options for me (3mm shorty, 3mm full) given the time of year I am going?

Thank you for the help

Based on current temps and my past dives you are going to be looking at mid to low 80s. I dive it in a 3mm shortie, as 80 degrees is my cut off before switching to a full suit.

My wife and I dove our hooded vests with them in early May at 78 to 81 degrees. I am also a growing fan of being warmer rather than cooler. I'd vote shorty at a minimum.

I understand what the temperatures will be about but I have not dove enough to know how that relates necessarily to my wetsuit and thus am asking advice on my options.

The problem is that is a really person question. Like for some people the cut off for going from a rashguard/shortie to a full suit might be in the low 70s.

Shorties are for people who enjoy taking the risk of their skin brushing by a stinging marine organism. For me, the ever so slightly less constrictive feeling of a shorty doesn't outweigh the benefit of protection against stings, so I always go for a full suit. If the water is 80+, a full 3 mm for me. Below 80, I'll add a hooded vest or switch to a full 5 mm.

I would go with the 3mm full for the reasons @Lorenzoid mentioned, and the fact that you can always cool off a bit by giving the full suit a quick flush. With a shorty, if you get cold on the dive, you are going to stay cold on the dive. Full suit for me always.

I understand what the temperatures will be about but I have not dove enough to know how that relates necessarily to my wetsuit and thus am asking advice on my options.
According to this, the surface temperature in Cairns in February ranges from about 83-86 F. So whatever worked for you then will probably work for you now. But I'd lean toward a fullsuit for scrape and sting protection too.
Cairns Sea Temperature February Average, Australia | Sea Temperatures

My brother and I dove with Quiescence at the end of July. They should have a full 3 mil for you if you decide on it. With the water temp as high as expected in Sept. you should have the luxury to try going without a wetsuit. I dove a full 3 mil for the first 2 days. The water temp was 85f. Although I never felt uncomfortable,I decided to see how diving with just my lycra skin would feel and ended up diving 2 days with just a skin. I was never cold and enjoyed the ability to get rid of several punds of lead. In general I prefer a full suit vs a shorty to ensure my extremities are covered for extra protection from potential contact with objects which could cauuse harm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom